Hi all just got plan for Chorus Gull by Brian Peckham,it only gives details of root rib and tip rib,wich way do you line them up for cutting ribs by the sandwich method i have a part kit of lazer cut parts and both the rib templates are cut with spar slots.I have both build articles one by Brian in 1989 and the other one by Mike Parry in 2002,but neither of the articles gives details of this event and of course i dont know but i cant carry on with the build untill i know whats what with the wings,can anybody out there help?if so i would be very gratefull for any advice given,if Mike parry reads this maybe he can advise.thanks to all who take the trouble to read this,Doug.

Advert

Douglas,

Generally, you should place the ribs as they appear on the plan,ie if taper is all on leading edge and trailing edge is straight out , then you should line up root and tip ribs with the trailing edges level with each other. Vice versa for straight L/E.

For both tapering, probability is main spar is straight out, in which case, line up the notches for the spar.

Likewise for top and bottom of ribs.

I usually do both wing ribs together and take every second one for one wing etc. this ensures ribs have same profile. Purists will point out that this will give one wing marginally greater chord than the other, but I find that by the time you build wings and sand etc, you cannot detect difference.

John

• 3 months later...
Hi and a Merry Christmas to one and all,I am building from plans and it is hard going so many questions and to few answers and not a lot of people are willing to help with the answers including those who are trying to promote the return of traditional building,never mind.The question is for those that are interested and are willing to help,on my plan is shows two datum lines "WING DATUM @ FUSELAGE SIDE and WING DATUM @ CENTRE" can anybody explain the the meaning of these?.Thanks in antisipation and regards to all,Doug.