Flying Wings Reaper build blog

Got this little model as a Fathers Day present. Hopefully it will turn out to be a nice little light wind sloper that has two intended uses: Teaching the offspring to fly and prove a nemesis to anything foam that Ken flys.

I will take some snaps and hopefully we can build it together with advise from the good gentlemen of the forum as we go along and end up seeing how it flies..

Pics to follow later.....

Advert

• 2 months later...

Andy,

any news with the blog as mine is in the post now and expected very soon?

Any advice / omissions in the build instructions to be aware of?

I was thinking of cutting in a flat aluminium or ply plate into the fuselage at the CofG before fitting the outer sides.
This would have a bolt epoxyied into it facing down into a recess to allow different amounts of ballast to be bolted into the fuselage.

Is this necessary or does the reaper fly well in low to high winds as advertised?

Andy

• 2 weeks later...
Andy,

Sorry I did not see your question earlier. Reaper has only flown once due to work commitments. Seemed a decent enough combat wing if a little more fiddly to construct  than some.

Instruction were good. Can't see any potential pitfalls there. Had a small issue but top customer service from FlyingWings had that sorted in a jiffy.

Andy,

Thanks for the reply.

I have finished covering the wings and I am hoping to finish the ailerons today. (work getting in the way of real life also)!

I am new to slope and gliding and bought the Reaper not really as a combat wing but due to the robustness I imagine it has, price, size and expected wind envelope.

I have an Alula for the calmer conditions on the slope( still not managed to get it to even glide well on the flat) and an Easy Glider Pro for slightly heavier winds on the slope and gliding / thermaling.

I hope to use the Reaper when the conditions are too windy for the other two so….getting to the question..

Any comments regarding ballast? I have asked members in my club but no offers of advice other than build it as per instructions and weight can be taped on as and when required.

I just thought it would have been better aerodynamically to have the extra cargo inside.

Thanks

Andy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Update... nice little flier.

Why would you ever buy a Zaggi when this is cheaper,better flier and more robust. There are more prefabricated models with a similar look but the price is nearly double. Seems like a win/win scenario to me.

Offspring has claimed this as "his" first model and so far it has survived everything his 7 year old thumbs have thrown at it.  

Edited By Andy Freeman on 04/10/2010 16:19:13