Which ST Glider is right for someone like me?

My first encounter with model planes was about 20 years ago, where I learned with a Nitro powered trainer.. I never felt comfortable, but I took to it like a duck to water, learning to take off and land after 2 or 3 'lessons'.

I put this down to the fact that I am an avid video gamer, starting back in the late 70s.. To me, flying felt similar to a video game. But I never really enjoyed it and because i couldn't really afford iit (Assuming I was going to crash soon) I gave up.

Over the next 20 years, I have dabbled with various RC activities (mainly cars) and a few years back bought a Hummingbird Helicopter which I learned to fly (well, almost fly).. I then invested in a Sim and used this to practice flying the Heli, but I used to switch into fixed wing and personally enjoyed it more.

A few months back, I realised that perhaps I should look at continuing where I left off, so invested in an Arising Star Trainer, Irvine 53 (A bit big for the plane, but it gives me room to upgrade) and a Spekrum DX6i radio.

I joined a local club, where they told me that "I would be landing in a few weeks".. But a few mins into my first flight, after making my 3rd low level pass, they figured that I might as well land, which I did.. Since then its been fairly windy in the UK, and all my flights have been in windy conditions and I have been able to fly with no problems (although I haven't enjoyed it much). So clearly, I haven't lost/forgotten everything I learned over the past 20 years

Don't get me wrong. I still have a LOT to learn.. Most of my landings arn't perfect (I am putting this down to the wind ), and I know I have a long way to go.. But I certainly have the basics.

A few weeks back, there was a guy at the club who flew for what seemed like hours.. When he bought his 'plane' down I noticed that it had a folding prop and looked very light, but I didn't know what it was.. But I liked what he was doing as there was a 'point' to it.. Instead of flying around under power, he just kept looking for lift and did not appear to be using the engine.. Instead he just flew and flew and flew and I was in awe of the smoothness of his flying.

Of course I now know, he was flying a Electric Powered glider and I really fancy a go.

After a bit of reading, I get the feeling that the ST Blaze might be a good starting point.. Its fairly cheap, and all I need is a RX so that I can use it with my Radio.. But I am also told that it tip stalls at low speed and have seen a few videos of the Blaze cartwheeling because of this very fact.

Landing looks a bit of a handful as it just seems so fast and does not want to slow down.. And after asking around on another forum, its felt that someone with my level of experinece should stay well alone.

So its back to the drawing board.. I considered the Multiplex EasyGlider Pro, but when you factor in the "Powersets' its out of my budget.

I have now found that there are 2 other ST models which I could consider, and just wondered whether you could give me your thoughts.

Which of these would be best suited to my needs:

1. ST Blaze - Seems to do exactly what I want, but may be a bit of a handful for a novice.. Plus landing seems very fast, which is bound to cause me stress.

2. ST DG1000 - I Like this, but the pop up motor just seems to be something to go wrong. It just seems unnecessary and almost certain a point of concern/failure

3. ST AWS28 - This looks ideal..

Can anyone with experience with these models give me their thought as to which I should consider/avoid based on my inexperience.

Jon

Advert

I have no experience of the ST models mentioned, but I do of the Easyglider which is fairly rugged and flies very well.
 The Powerset by Multiplex is extremely expensive, but an equivalent set-up of outrunner, esc & lipo can be sourced from other suppliers at half the cost, or less.

Posted by Richard Bond on 15/07/2010 14:53:54:
I have no experience of the ST models mentioned, but I do of the Easyglider which is fairly rugged and flies very well.
 The Powerset by Multiplex is extremely expensive, but an equivalent set-up of outrunner, esc & lipo can be sourced from other suppliers at half the cost, or less.

I have been trying to get some recommendations about this, but failed...

So all I need to emulate the "powerset" is a Speed Controller and Motor? (oh and of course prop).. The battery would be needed anyway and I already have that sorted.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to the models/parts I could/should use?

Jon

Jon, if you are buying an Easy Glider Pro, a 35 mm dia brushless of about Kv 1000 will work, with a 30 or 40 amp ESC. (Depending on battery and prop used and level of performance) I am sure there are several people on this forum who are using economy motors with their EG from the likes of Giant Cod and will soon be along to give their expert advice. (Should total about £25 -30 , with esc).
My own EG was an early one and the nose was modified to take a brushless motor, but I cannot remember which one I used. The fuselage I do not have any more because it hit a rock at speed and was very deformed. (My fault).
Perhaps you could start another thread asking for recommendations if this is the path you wish to go down.