Loveliest shape ever???

David perry 1

Advert

Well, strange I know but this is the one that rings my bell, it was so futuristic in the 60's it is hard to believe it was nearly 50 years ago;

This, the  second XB-70  built Sn 20007, was  modified for constant cruise at Mach 3 (2,100 mph), the first prototype had problems and was only cleared for mach 2+  and not maximum.
I have all the Depron panels cut for a 30'' span PSS but have to move house, redecorate it, then put my workroom together before I can start on it.

Edited By Terence Lynock on 01/10/2010 11:29:20

This shot was taken shortly before the fatal collision, the Starfighter sitting on the Stbd wingtip got caught in the vortex off the wing and was flipped over the top taking the vertical stabilisers off.
All pilots had been briefed to formate on the XB-70 but stay out of the way but the Starfighter got too close.

The aftermath was the Starfighter going down in a ball of fire and the XB-70 cruised on for about 19 seconds before rolling on her back and going down into the Nevada desert with the loss of the pilot, the co-pilot managed to eject.
After this the program was cancelled and the first prototype was handed over to NASA for high speed flight investigation.

The Starfighter was flipped over the top of the XB-70 starboard wing taking off the top of the starboard fin then it came down on the port wing taking off the port fin completely and damaging the wing, it then rolled off in flames and went earthwards.
A sad end for two very experienced brave airmen and a very advanced aircraft for its time.