Quad Motor EDF set up - VC10

rcKeith

Can anyone give any advice or experience on a quad edf set up, specificaly the wiring of the ESC's.

I have a build log on my website showing progress so far HERE

I have the motors and fans and speed controllers and I will use two 2200 3s Lipo's to power each pair.  Thinking of doing one battery on the inners and the other on the others.  I've built twin brushless e,g Green Air designs Vulcan and disconnected the  red wire on one ESC and this files well..  

I'm thinking of using a separate receiver battery, so I wondered how I'd wire the ESC's.  Do I disconnect all the red wire's.  Or would I be better using a UBEC, not quite sure how this help but I sure I read something about it.

Thanks for any advice

Keith 

Edited By Tim Mackey - Administrator on 28/09/2010 22:38:14

All the ESC receiver leads need to be "Y" leaded together, in order to receive the throttle position signal from the rx. Disconnect all the red leads, and use either a separate battery or a UBEC to power the Rx via any free socket, including of course the main battery socket.
I prefer a UBEC to a separate battery as it keeps the weight down, and more importantly its one less thing to remember to charge up.
Sounds a good plan to run one pair of batteries to each inner /outer pair of motors.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Clive...still not clear on the reasoning.
In my book, the more components you introduce into the equation the higher the PPOF ( potential points of failure ).
I normally recommend using just one battery where possible ( obviously of much larger capacity ) so that the likelihood of one battery dropping voltage before the others is eliminated. This is a very real risk, and could allow one or more of the ESCs to cut power to their respective motors, leaving a possible scenario of adverse yaw from the remaining motors.
Hope you see what I mean