Spektrum failsafes

Chris Bott - Moderator

Blimey just got in and hadn't expected any responses.
Ben I have to agree with Tim, the system doesn't go into failsafe if there's a brownout. However this brings up a question I hadn't thought of.
I assume a brownout causes a receiver reset. So this probably means that the receiver has a moment which is just the same as when switching it on. So in this case, it would go to the preset positions and not the hold last position ones... I think!
Pete - thanks for the link, interesting reading ta.
Glyn - yep sounds like one of those learning processes, hopefully reinforcing what I hope I remember every time.
Tim I tend to agree with you, maybe I'm old school, that a Tx should be on before a Rx and off after a Rx. Then you are not at the mercy of any outside influence or even a miss programmed failsafe.
However some people argue that powering up an electric model without the Tx on is the safest way to carry it out to the strip! With Spektrum, this does mean that the ESC see's no pulses at all until the Tx is switched on so may have some merit. But I still prefer our old method. Oh and we are off topic here.. sorry.

Anyone - Do we think we could do some tests between us and ascertain which Spekky receivers do actually offer the choice between SmartSafe and Preset failsafe?

The link Pete posted confirms that AR8000 and AR7600 work this way.

Advert

Aha! I always assumed most fail-safe activations where due to an error of reception (likely battery related) rather than transmission. But it's a good point re the brown-out causing a start-up style failsafe. I suppose what is more likely that the transmitter stopping transmitting is a temporary disuprtion to the RF field due to the aerial being temporarily shielded in which case (IE a power-on interupt) holding the postion is sensible. You live and learn

Indeed, I'm definitely learning.

I just tried an old AR6200 and an Orange Rx that I have handy.
Both only appear to do SmartSafe. i.e. the preset positions during startup and hold last on loss of signal.

Posted by Chris Bott on 09/02/2012 22:10:48:

Ben I have to agree with Tim, the system doesn't go into failsafe if there's a brownout. However this brings up a question I hadn't thought of.

However some people argue that powering up an electric model without the Tx on is the safest way to carry it out to the strip! With Spektrum, this does mean that the ESC see's no pulses at all until the Tx is switched on so may have some merit. But I still prefer our old method. Oh and we are off topic here.. sorry.

IMO the ONLY foolproof safe way is to arm the model at the last minute, either at the pilots box, or if the strip is clear and no pilot is about to land or take off.

Posted by Chris Bott on 09/02/2012 22:49:15:
Indeed, I'm definitely learning.

I just tried an old AR6200 and an Orange Rx that I have handy.
Both only appear to do SmartSafe. i.e. the preset positions during startup and hold last on loss of signal.

Same on the AR500, 600, 6100, and older, DSM2 AR7000s except throttle which will go to binding preset position.