Daft thoughts

See my album.
Arfadiamon built from 6mm depron, free plan (another mag) of a Mike White design and converted to EDF. Cant remember the make of fan/motor but got 200+watts from a 3s 2200.
And yes it flew quite well but needed a heafty chuck to launch, as I discovered when I tried to fly on my own

Edited By Mowerman on 24/03/2011 11:19:59

Hi all, i have two Paul Grey Hawks, both ic d/fan, one with an Irvine .46 d/fan engine and the other with an OS .46 engine. Both fly really well.
I have flown a hawk on a standard engine, it did fly but was very low on power, the irvine will turn a Micro-mold fan unit at well over 22,000, ample power to fly the hawk.
The plans are still available from the RCM&E plans site.
I do use a Robbe tuned pipe and 10% nitro fuel with castor for lubrication, ( these engines do run hot )
Hope this helps a bit,
regards
Chris.

Hi chris,

The models do sound interesting. I watched a video on you tube of an ic ducted fan and it looked like it strigled taking off, also the flight was not greatly fast at all.
I think that it would have run better on a prop, do you have the same issues or do you get a good performance from your set ups.

Also how do you start it?. I saw them start theirs with a drill and Allan key set up, like I used to do on my cars. Do you have to convert/ modify the engine for this?. Also can you still get the ducted fan unit for the Irvine?.

Cheers.

Hi tim,

I will go for one of those edf's when money is available. There was one which I quite liked a while back but never pursued it.

The model was kyosho but can't remember the name, but it had a swing wing controlled by one servo. Maybe a bit more experience needed but looked quite good.

If it was the blue and white swing wing thing, called an Illusioin, that looked like a F-14 Tomcat then give it a miss. Had one and got rid of it as soon as pos, lacked power and was not really sutable for an upgrade in motor or fan unit. looked good but lacked power even to do a decent loop.