Help needed for Turnigy TG380 Gyro set-up in fixed wing aircraft

wess

Help needed setting up a Turnigy AeroGyro380>>

Can any of you guys put me right on how I adjust the above unit for use on the rudder of a fixed wing aircraft that I want to control on the ground run T/Off and landing phase and then turn it off in flight.>>

The rather skimpy single info sheet does show the axis of the gyro and I have that right, however a couple of things have me miffed.>>

This giro has a single wire that I think is used to turn the unit on or off in flight by using a spare channel that I use the Gear select switch for, and there is no mention on this in the info sheet.>>

On gyro start up without the single wire connected the gyro fires up ok but I consider the very very small deflection of the servo is quite inadequate to effect left or right correction of the aircraft during the take-off run.>>

I have seen a number of vids on UTube that show aircraft giving a considerable left and right deflection when the Fuzz is wabbled about the horizontal axis >>

I tried adjusting the gain control to higher sensitivity only to find that the rudder simply follows the adjustment in one direction only and thereby the neutral flying setup is put completely out of adjustment. So how do I obtain adequate movement of the servo as the sensitivity pot on the unit certainly does not do that.>>

Also the single wire connection to the gear channel seems to be affected by the setting of the TX as to gear movement i.e. 0% to 100% etc. >>

An explanation on this would be appreciated.>>

wess>>

Advert

Usually the single wire is a signal wire, which when plugged into a spare channel can be used to remotely adjust the gain of the gyro. However, doing a quick search, I found that the limited info on this gyro refers to that wire being used to switch it on and off and not for remote gain (if its not plugged in, the gyro is on all the time)

Without seeing it, it's very hard to comment. Being a heli man, I see a few club members playing with gyro's on their planes. The problem is if you buy a cheap gyro, it can cause you more grief than you can imagine. Especially if the instructions are poor and you are not sure what you are trying to achieve with it.

Only got the chance to read 4 or 5 comments on the gyro from a quick search, unfortunately none of them were particularily positive.

The gain should not alter the centre position of the rudder, but again without seeing it I know this can happen on some of the cheaper ones because a fellow modeller at the field was having the same problem last weeked (can't remember the make).

If I can help further let me know.

Cheers,

Simon

Hi Simon. Thanks for that and I will keep experimenting. After a few flights with the gyro in an ancient Matador with elevator and rudder with gyro only on the rudder, I must say the flight control with the gyro on is much improved. With the usual high amount of dihedral used on these old vintage models designed probably for free flight the turns quickly build up and always a wing is dropped and the craft spirals downwards rather smartly.>>

This gyro must exert opposite rudder as she drops a wing and thereby tends to correct and stop or lessen the rather rapid loss of height. Now I am keen to try it on an aileron job but still only on the rudder. Must say although a cheap unit I am pleased so far and will probably ring a lot more out of the dinky thing.>>

Thanks >>

Wess>>

• 2 years later...

Hi colin. Well I 'm no expert on gyros, as my main interest is with vintage tail draggers that seem to delight in ground loops, so my experiments are with rudder only, however I suspect it could work just as you suggest,but the gyro will only react to a changes in direction so inverted flight could be a bit undulating.

let me know if you try it out.

NB would be worthwhile connecting it up so that you can switch it off in flight.............

best wishes wess