Upgrade Nigel Hawes Tucano 45

Sir John

Hi All,
I need some advice to upgrade N.H's. 45 Tucano, its fitted with an AXI 2820/10, a 40Amp ESC, and a 11x8 prop. Now I have required from BRC a "Leton" Li-Po protector and now I wuld like to use Li-Po's a 3S 2500 and was wondering about using a "folding-prop". Question what size?
For all your help, many thanks in advance.
John.

Edited By Sir John on 27/05/2011 15:54:42

• 1 month later...
Advert

Hi John

I used to fly a 45" tucano, sadly now departed, and my only advice on props would be to choose a really heavy one!

I found that my fairly lightly built tucano would only balance with at least an eight-cell CP1700 NiCad pack at the front of the battery compartment.

So you might want to go with a 3s2p lipo (if it will fit) to maintain the balance. If this is not going to be a problem...read on!

If you don't possess a whattmeter, go with a 10x6 or10x7 prop to start with. If this gives you ample verticle, and the motor is warm, don't fit anything bigger. I used to run my 2820/10 on 10 cells (12v) and an 11x8, and it was happy on this. An 11.1 v lipo will probably give better voltage stability, so dropping a prop size should keep you in the right ballpark for the motor.

NB - if you do fit a folder, make sure the hinges are far enough out for the prop to fold cleanly along the sides of the nose, and keep an eye on the prop while landing. If it folds one blade low, blip the throttle to shift it out of the way - you could bend the motor shaft otherwise.

Hope this helps!

AlistairT