Carbon Z Yak Joy/Frustration and Joy

I recently purchased an E Flite Carbon Z Yak 54 in PNP guise from Inwoods from the Rougham Show and a wave of joy swept over me as I got home and looked in the box, it was some time before I found the energy to put the model together which was a walk in the park and visions of the maiden flight started to form in my brain. Just the Rx and Battery to install and switch on to check all was well when out of the blue the right aileron servo decided to go to full travel and then the other way in fact anywhere but in the middle. A quick look on the web at the problem pages revealed a trend towards multiple servo failures and it looked like I was in that unhappy band of brothers. Remove said servo and ping off an e mail to HH and await a reply. No reply or acknowledgement received I decided to swap out all the servo's as I now could not trust any of them. Frustration as it is not a cheap model and having to wait for an order from Hobbyking to arrive then having to modify the servo seats and leads to swap out the suspect items. this I managed to do on Saturday and on Sunday I took it over to my field for the maiden flight. Suprisingly no nerves at all. I think I had resigned myself to accept whatever was going to happen. Opened the tap and off she went as smooth as you like and one click of downtrim and she was flying perfectly. What a model, it is an absolute pleasure to fly and I have it on 50% rates and get 6 minutes of adrenalin filled flight out of a 2650mAh 4S Nano Tech lipo . On full rates it is manic but still very controllable, in essense it was well worth the wait and frustrations to get over the problems seen on the web, but I still maintain that I should not have to go to these lengths having paid over £200 for the plane. Looking at the servos fitted by e flite I took one apart and the build quality is terrible and in my opinion is an accident waiting to happen, so if you have one of these and your servos seem ok it may be that you are lucky or are on borrowed time to a potential failure of one or more of these servos, I hope that HH and E Flite are doing something about the quality issues and that all will be well for future models.

Advert