Ryan STA 55 Maiden flight

Maidened the Blackhorse Ryan STA 55 last night. Was a really nice evening so decided to give it a go. All controls throws set as per instructions (with increased rates if needed), c of g was pretty much spot on with an OS 61fx 2 stroke up front. Ground handling proved the plane to be very bouncy and posssibly prone to nosing over. Did all the checks lined up to go and applied the throttle. Well she was airborne pretty quickly and required just a touch of rudder trim and a click of down elevator. Was very nice to fly. The flaps were very effective and no I didn't find any real vices in the handling apart from the stated elevator throws needing to be incresed. They don't appear to be that effective even with the short coupled tail. Will give it good wringing out tomorrow!

The only complaint I have is about the spats. They don't like the grass srtip much. Don't think they'll last long!

Andy

Advert

Well the instructions say 80mm from the leading edge, marked on the top of the wing next to the fuselage. With the plane inverted. Mine came out pretty much on this point. I feel it could do with some more weight in the nose but not much. I've had a few more flights with it now. It flies really well, not as fast as I'd have thought but does nice large loops and reasonable rolls. The rudder doesn't seem to effective, might just up the throws a bit. The only problem is the stupid spats. Mine have pretty much disintegrated now. Also I'm in the process of strenghtening the u/c as this seems a weak point and wants to bend back to easily. This tends to make the model nose over very easily on our grass, which is quite smooth and short. Because of this I also have a cracked cowling. It will have to fly without the spats now but at least they stayed on long enough for the photo shoot!

Andy

hmm instructions say 100mm on mine but some report this as being rubbish and far to far forward!! and yes the spats are rubbish dont know why they did not make them from fibreglass i would have paid a few quid more for the benefit, i think i will spilt the difference and go 120mm back !!