Mini Tyro

Something about the little Mini Tyro really appealed to me when I read the article so I figured I'd have a stab at building one. I had a (self enforced) deadline of the beginning of December because that is when our second child was due. Needless to say I missed this deadline and I'm now hoping to have her finished for Christmas. Hey ho, there is no real rush I suppose!

I used to have a DC Merlin which would have been a nice fit, but that has seemingly gone walk-about, Which left me pondering something to power her with, a chance conversation with Peter down at 308 Hobbies resulted in shaking hands on a deal for one of his 'spare' Indian Mills. Power plant sorted then, best crack on.

I was pretty rubbish at taking pics during the build, a couple are terrible quality, being taken in a dimly lit living room with a camera phone, but you can see what is going on.
I had some 1/16 sheet kicking around so I started by cutting out the fuselage sides and a template for the wing ribs.

A few days later I got down to my LHS and fetched supplies of fresh Balsa, from here the build progressed fairly rapidly, first up the tail feathers:

Fin next:

Then a pair of wings!

And finally onto the fuselage:

These was all the shots I managed to take while building her, but I guess it isn't a complex build so there isn't much of interest. Onto the covering then...

I've always loved the DB 'house' colour scheme, having fond memories of seeing it on a biplane years ago, so I figured I'd replicate that scheme. I used Litespan, which I've always found really nice to work with, once you get over the slight faf of having to paint the Balsaloc on first.

I started the build with the tail feathers, so figured thats where I'd start the covering...

I didn't shoot any pics of the wing or fuselage mid covering, so just a couple of her finished:

All done, and in between feeding our new baby girl countless bottles of milk too!

For those that are interested, I soldered up a little tin plate tank to give me a bit more duration than the in-built Mills one.

I've a couple of Hitec HS-55 servos and a Spektrum AR600 receiver.

Hopefully I can get the controls done this week, I think I'm going to try sewn hinges, although I'm more than a little nervous

More as it happens!

• 1 month later...
So.... Who would have thunk that having a baby daughter just before Xmas (our second little monster) and strarting a new job in Jan could take up so much of your spare time!

I've finally been able to give the Tyro some much needed attention, the closed-loop rudder control is in and working fine. Hopefully I'll get a chance to do the elevator tomorrow and then it's a few finishing touched and waiting for a nice day.

Nothing worth photographing in the CL system, so ill wait until its all finished up.

Well, I've not managed to get out and fly the thing, but I did just find 20 mins to run up the engine. I've never started that engine since I bought it (late last year) and neither have I tested the tank I built for the Tyro.

Happy to say after a bit of fiddling it started with a good flick and ran about half a tank through it. Fingers cross for the free time/weather now!

r.

Hi Robin, Steve,

Steve, that's the link they do emulators that you can use in old SC cases and direct you to where to get 2.4 modules from, sounds like a bit of a fiddle but good fun if your handy with a soldering iron. I spoke to a bloke at the Nats who sells old SC gear, his numbers somewhere, have to look it out.

Robin, didn't you use a Mills in the Mini Tyro, you wont go wrong with that.

Cheers,

Chris.

• 3 months later...

Well thanks in to the amazing summer (well ok, spring!) like evening we have just had I have returned from the flats smelling of diesel fuel, which can only mean one thing!

After the thick end of 5 months sitting on the shelf the Mini Tyro has finally had a successfull maiden flight.

It flew beautifully, just needs a little more down thrust on the motor but I can hopefully just put some washers under the rear screws on the motor plate. Wonderful little thing, DB did a proper job on this one. I flew 4 tanks, one straight after another. The Wot 4 I took almost didnt get another flight smiley

Yes I agree...it can be a little undignified.....a bit like a maiden aunt falling over & having her skirt go up around her ears......smile o.....you kind of want to look away but as hooligan 14 year old with a 1.5cc Sabre in his MT its was great fun.....long spiral dive to build up a bit of speed neutralise the controls & as she starts to climb hit the rudder & hold on........teeth 2