Electric newb, conversion help?

Kill3r

Hi,

I'm making a return to RC planes after an approx 16 years break, flew a couple IC models back then, just brought my self a Flair cub kit (foam wing) ebay special and looking to convert to electric during the build. I want to keep the model as stock as possible and not have to worry about drastically different prop sizes.

I have researched around and although I can see lots of people have converted these kits, there are not many listed with the motor, esc and lipo combo used. I'm looking for an average 15 minute ish flight time. Also trying to resurrect my old Sanwa vanguard vg6dr set, which still works although the batteries are shot, no surprises there after 16 years

Can any one recommend a motor, esc lipo combo I can use that would produce the equivalent performance of the .40 high end two stroke engine requirement?

Thanks in advance

Edited By Kill3r on 07/02/2012 22:42:29

Advert

Hi Killer...

welcome to the board..

I personally, just look for the Wattage and Kv ratings now, as they're usually more relevent, transposible to a requirement..
I'd suggest looking at the E-flite range of 'PowerXX' motors, where the XX is an engine equivalent, i.e. Power32 = .30 IC, Power46 = .46 IC, etc...

I imagine the Power46 would be about the right size for you.. If you look at the specs, they'll suggest ESC and Lipo cell count (3s, 4s, etc)
Again, i'd think a 60A or 80A Esc, running on atleast a 4s, maybe 6s or more..!!
Whilst you're there, take note of the Wattage and Kv rating of the motor, THEN go and find a cheaper setup from GiantCod, or similar..

Not precise info, i'll grant you, but it'll give you an idea of what size motor requires what...

Someone like BEB will be along soon and give you a nano-metre, by nano-metre answer..

HTH's

Luv
Chrisie.. xx

Welcome Killer,

A Flair Cub will be happy on 100W / lb so you probably don't really
need the equiv. power of a high end hot 40.
As Chrisie says - E-Flite motors are worth a good look & are top quality.
A Power 32 on say a 12x6 with a 4S Lipo should suit your Cub well.
A power 46 would be good too but you might not need that much power.

You'll need a fairly high capacity Lipo to get 15 minute flights - it
all depends on the way you use the throttle stick of course.
There are loads of possible combinations & these are just some
suggestions:

Let us know how you get on.

Start with the weight......lets say its 5lbs.....so you need between 400 & 500watts. To get that off a 3S battery you will need around 50A (3S = about 10V under load.....500 divided by 10 = 50A).....just about within sensible limits for a 3S battery but you would need a big capacity to get 15 mins......

Go up to 4S however (about 13.5V under load) & we only need 37A so our battery could have a smaller capacity for the same run time......physically there won't be too much difference because we have an extra cell to cope with.

Like most things in life its a compromise so you need to decide where you would like to compromise......

Check out the Electric Flight Database too.....there might be a Cub on there.....

Yep, but not really worth considering a 3S setup to get 500W or so
when buying new components.
4S is the way to go - lower current for the same power, less heat &
stressed components & longer flight times for a given battery capacity.
3S is certainly feasible but not worth it IMO.

A few years ago I upgraded a Magnatilla from a 3S/4500mAH setup to
4s/3700 with the same motor (but slightly smaller prop) & the
improvement was marked.