J1 phonix biplane (april 2012 free plan)

Alex Gibbs

hi guys, recieved my april issue this morning :P

i really like the biplane inclluded in there
thing is... ive looked at the parts and some of it i cant find anywhere on the net

for instance, one of the parts is a 20x 4mm Trailing Edge. the closest i can find to that is 5x19mm  another one is a 10x3mm balsa strip, and noone supplies 10mm wide strips its either 9mm or 12mm
there are alot of these instances i have found, so my question is... should i buy parts just a little oversize and cut them down to size? (with great difficulty haha :P) or should i go for just under and keep with that and be a little off with the plan?

im a first time plan builder, ive built a kit before but not from a plan and my school has a laser cutter so im going to try cut parts out on there :P

any help/tips will be a treat :D

thanks guys :D

Gibbo

Edited By Alex Gibbs on 05/03/2012 23:16:10

Advert

All you can do really is round the measurements to Imperial (working that .8 mm is 1/32" so if you go on the basis that 1/32 is 1 mm, 1/16 is1.5 mm and so on, you shouldn't be that far out

3 mm would be equivalent to 1/8, 4 mm should be close to 3/16" (you can always sand it down a bit if needed)

Edited By Daithi O Buitigh on 05/03/2012 23:31:24

Hi Alex, when building from a plan, sometimes you will not get the exact size you require, then a few ,changes may be required. Re L/E you may have to buy a slighly larger thickness and sand down to size. Believe me it is not difficult to cut to size, we all have done this when building from plans. Don't forget its only a bit of balsa after all. Cheers