I'll whizzzalong with you...

Here is another little picture for any Whizzza aficionado’s out there…

This one, with the OS 35AX slotted in, belongs to my colleague. I don’t have any performance details at the moment, but I will do a bit of checking, I vaguely remember clocking it at at around 16,000 rpm. It is quite fast, both up hill and down dale, as you can imagine. The electric lads really do need to sharpen their props and leading edges to keep up with this! I’d say the power is at the very thick end of a kilowatt, and being i/c that’s at the actual prop. He did have an electric one previously, which he thinks may have been as fast, but that spectacularly exploded in the air whilst doing a fast pass!

I’ll come back later with some of her finer points and details. We’ll get the scales out and the tape, and see what her vital statics are. All in all, she’s a nice little package, fast, agile and is quite happy to respond immediately to her pilot’s every command without any arguments.

PB

• 2 weeks later...
Advert

I’ve now gathered some of the vital statistics for the Whizza.
It weighs 2.75 lb, and it has a wing area of 2.27 sq ft, which gives it a wing loading of 19.4 oz/sq ft. The motor is rated at 1.28 hp at 16,000 rpm, this one, now it’s done a bit of work, turns an 8 by 8 ACP at 16,300 static on a tacho. This gives a theoretical speed of 123 mph, chuck in 10% for a bit of in-air unloading and we’re up to 135 mph. In actual fact it doesn’t really appear to be up to this sort of pace, but it is fairly quick, nevertheless.

In electrical terms this works out at around 347 watts/lb. But that’s at the prop, of course, I suspect to get a more accurate picture you might have to add say 20% here, to 416 W/lb, to take up any ESC/motor losses etc.

Here is another little gem.

I have few details as yet, I don’t know what the model is even, apart from being a delta, but it’s pulled along in some style by an OS 95AX, vigorously motivating a 14 by 8 ACP. It’s only had half a dozen or so flights, so the engine is still not at it’s peak. It has retracts, and the radio is an Assan 6 channel miniature rx, with the Assan module in a Futaba FF9. Well checked out, to say the least, I did post one of the tests we did put it through a while back.
This dart is as smooth as well oiled silk, and when the motor has drunk a few more tots of methanol I’m sure that will start to open out. I will endeavour to find out more, always interesting to discover all those little personal details……

The Tiger in front has done some flying. An ASP 120FS, which is immaculate, supplies the urge and I’ve been privileged to fly this many times. There is enough power to be ‘adequate’, and you can fly for 20 minutes without considering a low fuel state. In fact, as the fuel gets burnt off somewhat it does feel as though it’s getting a bit livelier. Futaba radio, the whole package has always been totally reliable, but I’d say that generally has been the case anyway.

Roll on the summer……

PB

Edited By Peter Beeney on 31/03/2012 20:52:05