Brushless set up for a Great Planes Slinger

Advert

They are brilliant, but I doubt this motor is a good choice, E-Flight stuff tends to be very middle of the road, and the KV rating is almost certainly too low [probably designed for 8" ish prop], you need speed......you need a high [around 2000kv] motor, 400 size, with a 4-5" prop, around 30A ESC, 2100mAh Lipo 3s......it will be soooooooo quick....but! [Can you tell Iv'e been here!].....good servo's are a must.....killed my last one with a high speed outside loop.....ailerons went into terminal flutter at the bottom of the loop......and couldn't pull out of the loop.......oh dear.

A 2212/6 400 class out-runner would be spot on [which is 2200kv] or similar, you need to decide on the mount, I used a stick mount [using the brushed motor hollow to get the thrust line spot on], basically a GWS style brushless mount & stick, some epoxy and self tappers.....you are there.

Thanks for the advice, an eflite 400 has a 4200Kv rating, thats what it says in the specs anyway, but if u recommend a 2200kv ill go for that, im clueless about this, being used to ic flight.  Also i thought ude need to use an inrunner type motor but an outrunner would suit me better being more available on ebay.

P.S. what do you think of this motor http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Xpower-MP2212-06-Outrunner-Brushless-Motor-2200KV-1-4A_W0QQitemZ270193167745QQihZ017QQcategoryZ34056QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

I use an inrunner in mine, and found it a little easier to mount -unitl I broke the original ( well actually wifey did but I forgive her ).

I made a new wooden mount, and basically rebuilt the whole thing after that smash which was pretty violent! It is around 5 years old now, and looking its age but still flies great

Scott is right on the mark with his recommendation of about 2000kv - the 4200 KV motor you mention will be really only suitable for very fast EDF units and so on.

http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/5143/slingermotorpd5.jpg

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/4953/slingerjy1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

My brushless Slinger flies very well and here's my recommendations:

I used Hitec HS 85-BB servos which work very well.  Hitec HS 65-BBs would probably also be good, but a bit weaker and smaller than the holes for no less cost.  Personally I wouldn't use Hitec HS-55s, I think you're starting to get too weak there.

I use a 2500kV Hacker A20-6XL outrunner.  It works well but mounting it is awkward given that it's an outrunner that mustn't touch the sides.  I reckon the ideal would be an inrunner of the same size as the original motor so you can just strap it in just like the original.  A kV of 2000 would be perfect although 2500 is fine.  3000 or more would be too much, you'd have to fit a very tiny prop to not burn out the motor.  The ideal is t have the biggest prop that fits in between the elevons, and a kV of 2000 or so is right for that.  I'm using a Graupner Speed Cam prop, 5.5 x 4.3, it's a good choice.

I'm using a Hacker 40A ESC but it's a bit big, a smaller 40A ESC would be better (eg Castle Creations or a cheaper brand).  A 30A ESC might be a bit borderline in terms of the setup I'm describing above, which can draw about 30-32A at full throttle. 

The more I fly the Slinger the more impressed I am with it.  It's a bit hard to launch, you need to throw it hard and it needs to be set to have some up elevons.  But it flies really well (and really fast!) and glides well.  And it handles windy days well - now than I'm confident with it I'm enjoying flying it in winds I wouldn't dare launch anything else in.

From memory the Slinger comes with a 400 size motor which is 28mm diameter I think?  If so, the motor given in the second link would fit better, you could just strap it into the semi-circular space in place of the original without modification.  But it's surprisingly heavy and weak, and not so cheap!  How about this one? -

http://www.brchobbies.co.uk/?page=shop&action=additem&item=799

It's from BRC Hobbies (who I've bought from before, they seem good), its an HXT 2835, 400 size so I think a perfect fit, it's only £25, it's 2200 kV, it can do up to 32W, ie it sounds perfect.

But I don't have personal experience of this motor, it's just a suggestion, if I were making my Slinger now it's what I would buy.

You'll also need BRC's "3.17mm dome prop adaptor (brc119)" at £2.50 - that's the bit to attach the prop.   

Three points about assembling the Slinger:

1 - The hardest bit is threading the aerial down the tiny tube!

2 - The Slinger comes with a 'keel' - a wooden bit that sticks down under the plane in the middle - which is an addition to the kit added after the instruction booklet was printed (original Slingers didn't have it).  You definitely need to fit it.  There's nothing to hold on to when you throw it if you don't. 

3 - They say to have the centre of gravity 8 inches back - 8.25 inches is probably better since if it's the slightest bit nose heavy it's too hard to launch - and have the neutral point of the elevons slightly upwards.  Otherwise the plane will hit the ground when you throw it before you get a chance to make it go up.  Remember to throw into the wind and land into the wind so it doesn't land at high speed.  Once airborne, the Slinger is fast but not hard to fly, a lot of fun. 

• 4 weeks later...

The prop that comes with the kit is a simple push on job if you plan to use it you will need a proper prop adaptor. The brush less motor has so much toque that it will just spin the motor shaft in the prop.

I totally agree with Timbo on getting a whattmeter I went without for quite a while but has no idea about prop sizing or how badly I was overloading the power train.

Bruce