Crow (Butterfly) braking

Trying to set my glider up with Butterfly braking.

Think that's the same as Crow braking but I can't see the logic in calling it Crow! Butterfly seems to make more sense, ie it looks like it's got four wings.

I've finally got my t/x (Sanwa RD6000) to do it but the throws on the flaps are huge, about 120 degrees !  (also one of the flaps goes down faster than the other one)

What sort of throws would people recommend for the ailerons to go up, and for the flaps to go down?

Martyn 

Advert

Martyn - For effective braking try about 80 deg on the flaps and about 45 deg on the ailerons. Also if one flap is moving faster than the other are you sure the 2 servos are matched? Sounds like different gear ratios. And to deal with the throws try 1st to cut the movement down mechanically. More servo movement for a given throw adds up to more torque and flaps need torque. After you have done what you can mechanically the only recourse is to alter the servo end points on the Tx.

Oh and if using crow brakes on a sloper make sure you retract them just before landing. Flaps hitting tufts of grass, gorse or heather have a way of being torn out of the wing.

Alan

At 120 degrees and a faster flap movement it sounds like the mechanics of your linkages are different. You need to leave enough aileron control under crow to enable corrections in roll. Use removal of aileron diff under crow if your radio will do it to allow one aileron to move down below the wing when you need aileron on approach. If your sites are rotor free it's almost all acedemic. The trick is to just get the flaps down to the 'drag' throw rather than the 'lift' position.

Beware thumping crow braking in at high airspeeds near thte floor. Those elevator servos don't need to move so far as the flap servos to reach the point where they are trying to compensate for full flap and if you throw in the crow you 'll get an initial pitch 'down'.

many pilots don;t bother with pre-set elevator mixing and prefer to fly it in on their own. I'm not one of them.........

The CROW word comes from the appearance of the model in comparison to the appearence of a Crow (bird) as it alights.

http://z.about.com/d/healing/1/0/w/M/gtotem_crow.jpg

• 1 month later...

I also have that issue of one flap coming down a bit faster than the other one.  I have a Cularis with two HS65 servos bought at the same time, identical linkages, identical radio programming on my JR 9XII transmitter, and still one flap goes down a bit faster and further than the other.   Six servo planes are never totally simple are they?!

(On the Cularis the recommended butteryfly throws are 30mm down for the flaps, 15mm up for the ailerons and 8mm down for the elevator.)

I think that the reason I was getting different speeds was that I had the second flap on the gear channel, and was mixing the two on the t/x. I'm guessing the gear wanted to go faster (or slower) than the others???

I fixed it by buying a 'Y' lead and putting both flaps on the one channel.

Still haven't had any good weather to try it though.

Can I start by saying that I am a computer ''thick-o'' - but I can read?

A year ago I bought a secondhand GRACE electric glider, complete with a Multiplex Profi 3030 Transmitter ( lovely bit of kit ) from a member of our club who was  leaving the area. At the time the set- up had CROW  BRAKING but in my atempts to set up another model with the same arrangement I lost all the settings ( I don't know how ).

My problem is that, whilst I have the instuction manual and the Web download, I cannot achieve Crow braking:  it seems that I always end up with one aileron going the wrong way and I am unable to reverse it. In all other repects the Tx. does everything it should. Convinced I had broken it, I took it back to Multiplex and they gave it a clean bill of health......... SOOOO......... I know it's me!

''Is there anybody out there'' who can translate the instructions into ''thick-o''  language and maintain my last few years of sanity.  if no help appears my next letter is likely to be from an asylum somewhere!

• 5 months later...