HD Key Cam 16# on my Wottie.

Advert

Aileron movement, I noticed that too. Very responsive and that wasn't even on high rates.

Best news is last time I mounted a rearward facing camera I could see quite a few

big rudder glitches so I tidied up the wiring runs and coiled spare wire. Seems to have

cured it, though there were still twitches. It was very hot and thermic and I put it down to that.

Edited By Bob Moore on 23/05/2012 13:40:53

Edited By Bob Moore on 23/05/2012 13:41:56

I was suprised, when I started filming my stuff, how little the surfaces move...

95% of the time it's mm's..

Here's a close up of my ailerons, and elevator..

And after seeing how much the tail flex's (on other vids more than that one) i've re-enforced it all..

Not that your Wot flex's at all.. Very stable camera mount and flight..

Luv

Chrisie..

• 5 months later...

To get the real HD quality (as you won't thru the computer screen), has anyone tried connecting this little cam up to an HD tv as mine came with a video out cable and it does not seem to work?

In fact it came with a mini usb out to a split futaba type plug saying video out and ground on one connector and caution +5 dc input and ground on the other with a seperate yellow phono connector with two pins which I've tried connecting to the obvious video out of the futaba type plug - no joy.

The video out does work, but is not for playback as far as I know! You have to use the latest GUI and enable it though. Did you do that?

I tested it on my TV and the quality was surprisingly good. I'm taking live video here, not playback. ie using it as a say a cctv video camera, or fpv camera. The video out is designed for people who want to fly FPV to give a video output as I say, not for playing back video. It will I believe record and display at the same time though.

I just looked again at the way I tested.   You'll need a phono lead with a male at each end. You just plug the usb into the camera ,  connect a male phono to the yellow female output, and the other end of the lead, ( ie  male phono)  into the tv's  yellow female input.  There's no sound connection.

Edited By Bob Moore on 04/11/2012 22:59:07

Not quite sure what you mean by a Futaba plug, but if you mean like a HiTec servo plug that goes into a rx, then yes. The lead is in two parts. A yellow phono female with a male servo type plug male at the end marked video out and grnd. And another lead with a usb one end and the other has video out 5v dc input (which is to power the camera from an external source when it' s used for FPV. And a video out from the usb lead which you plug into the opposite end of the yellow phono. (Sorry if that's a bit obvious!) Anyhow like I say I just plugged into my yellow on the tv and switched it to the appropriate input setting and there it was?

Edited By Bob Moore on 05/11/2012 08:09:09

• 2 weeks later...

Great video Bob. I've just ordered one of these cameras and I'm looking forward to mounting it on my Twinstar next time out. On his excellent web site devoted to the camera Tom Frank provides a firmware download to change its video format from the preset .mov Mac format to the Windows .avi format. There's not much difference in quality or file size, but .mov requires Quick Time which I haven't got and I know my video editor doesn't accept .mov So I wondered if you had changed the video format on your camera and if so whether there were any associated problems with the change.

I'm a windows man and just use the MOV files in my editors. Adobe Premiere Elements, and Premiere Pro sometimes. I'd always thought AVi's were big files compared to mpeg 4 . Maybe not though. I think the more recent versions of Windows Movie Maker will open the MOV files too? It doesn't seem to be pre installed in Vista but it's a free download from MS.

You don't need Quick Time to play MOV's (Though there is a free version I think.) VLC media player FREE or Daum Pot Player FREE will play MOV's. The latter works pretty well on low spec pc's even. If you open advanced tools in VLC, you can even trim the video by hitting record where you want to start. It saves a new file with the bit you selected.

I'm pretty sure Tom Frank lists some converter programmes in the FAQ's if you can't get a WMM vesrion that will open MOV's . There are other video suites around (if you know where to look!)

Edited By Bob Moore on 13/11/2012 11:19:04

OK that's very intertesting and thanks for the link, I'll certainly have a look at that. I was particularly interested in Tom Frank's advice that unlike the .mov format, the .avi format provides an overlap between separate clips because it takes the last one second of the last clip and adds it to the front of the next clip. That sounds like a pretty useful editing tool so on the basis that changing the format using his downloads doesn't seem too difficult or troublesome, I might have a play with the formats and try them both.

Thaks again for your help and advice, much appreciated..

I think the camera records in 20 min chunks and as I rarely record continuously I've never worried about the lost second!

I use mostly default settings in the GUI apart from up one click on the saturation to boost the colours. It's been suggested that flourescent white balance works better than auto for daylight, but I haven't tried it.

Have fun with the camera.

OK thanks Bob. If I can produce a video as good as yours I might just pop it up here. Trouble is the disused airfield my club uses is in a very exposed coastal cliff top position and this time of year the wind is a very limiting factor especially for electric foamies like my Twinstar. But hopefully we'll get a weather break soon and I'll be able to have a look at the airfield from the air !!  Actally the Twinstar has a cooling air inlet in its nose, see pics, and I think I'll put the camera in there.  Should be OK for a shortish flight.

Edited By PB on 13/11/2012 13:11:59