ASP series 3 question

Del Wheatley

Advert

Del,

Currently run 3 of these a 61 and 2 91s. Never had an issue. Very relieable and once broken in and set with a tacho, i never have to fiddle. Not as much power as an OS, but since most buy 4 stroke for scale jobs, that shouldn't be an issue. For the price these engines are real winners. Bonus is that mufflers and accessories for OS fit them.

61 is in a Pulse XT40. 91 is in my Corsair (ICON/AVTAR image) and one fitted in my 91 size Decathlon.

61 swings a good 12x6 MA K series prop.

the 91 runs best on a 14x6, again I use MA K series prop.

Chris

Unless you require every ounze of power from the engine, these are my first choice, for price, performance and reliability.

Run mine in over 50c temps, humid and dusty, with no after run oil, and all mine are still going strong after many years. I have from 52 fs to 1.80 fs.

Highly recommended. Spares are also cheap and easily available.

Darryl

Another vote for ASP from me too....not as good as OS but not as different as the price gap suggests....wink 2

If I remember correctly didn't Tony use an ASP61 in his Spit? The 61 4 stroke is effectively a "big bore" 52 & shares the same crankcase....the 70 is a good bit bigger....

ASP do a 52 2 stroke which would be good in your Basic 3D. You would be looking at the 70 at least as an equivalent 4 stroke...IMHO...

mmmmm the 70's a good bit bigger,that might change the plan slightly.Unless the 61 will swing a 3 bladed 12"/13" prop.The spit hasn't got to be a rocket ship so the next question is will an asp .61 be ok with the above mentioned prop size.

Sorry still learning what works with what.

Posted by Tom Sharp 2 on 31/05/2012 21:49:55:

ASP have a different metal technology than OS. You need to run a gallon or more fuel through them before they give full power. OS give full power from day one.

After doing some research on sizes etc it turn out the asp's are quite big and heavy compared to OS.An os fsa 72 is shorter than the asp 61 and a lot lighter.looking at os's web site will swing the right prop happily.so the decision is made,it'll be dearer but worth it in the long run.