Reviving old kits

Reading RCM&E I've noticed the oily boys have recently been taken with old kits like the Crescent Bullet. That prompted me to dig out my Howard Metcalfe Crossfire and Galaxy Aerojet ( which is still available I believe). My Crossfire has a brushed Fanfare Powermax which used to drive a 10 x 6 prop on 8 cells. The Powermax is a premium brushed motor. With a 3S LiPo and a 9x5 prop it goes even better and it was always a very good model. It flies on rails but I don't think it's made any more.

I put a rear-mounted outrunner in the Aerojet which enabled me to make a much prettier nose than the blunt original. It looks superb now and ought to be a great model at the reduced weight but I haven't flown it yet.

If I remember correctly Nigel Hawes attempted to revitalise these two some years ago using geared 480's and smaller battery packs than sub-Cs. Have another look if you've still got one in the loft. Few flyers will recognise them now and they are a refreshing change from foam !

Advert