Corby Starlet 52" RCME sept 2012

The formers for the front upper sheeting are glued in place.

apr 001.jpg

Before closing off the front, the motor is test fitted to check the clearance...

apr 002.jpg

...and the front upper is planked. I couldn't get a sheet to fit the double curvature.

apr 003.jpg

apr 004.jpg

Turned out quite well for a first effort.

Returning to the back end, there is another deviation from the plan. The tailplane sits on two bearers which are tapered towards the rear to save a bit of weight. Then the longitudinal former is fitted. A fin mounting plate is cut to the exact size of the fin base and is located to it with two dowels. The fin and the mounting plate are then carefully aligned and a few drops of CA fix the mounting plate to the longitudinal former. After the CA hardened I added triangular section supports and a good fillet of white glue. The fin can then be removed to avoid damage while the end of the fuselage is finished.

apr 005.jpg

apr 006.jpg

Here is the fin in place on the mounting plate.

apr 007.jpg

Advert

Now with the rear end of the fuselage finished, the fin can be finally glued in position. I used cardboard formers to ensure vertical alignment.

apr 022.jpg

This is how it looks after final assembly and finishing.

apr 023.jpg

Starting to look like an aeroplane.

apr 024.jpg

As a change from making balsa dust I had a go at an instrument panel.

apr 025.jpg

Not too bad but I might do another one with lighter coloured card for more contrast.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ton, work is still going on. I made a start on the wing assembly but I did not take any pictures of the build because they would not be any different to yours (and Erwin's). I have some pictures of the nearly finished wing but I have not been able to upload them. My internet connection has been very slow in the last few days.

OK, I managed to upload some pictures last night. Here is the (39 inch) wing.

may 001.jpg

may 002.jpg

As a change from the plan, I "squared off" the trailing edge at the centre section. This is the underside.

may 003.jpg

View from the top. I have built in a plywood plate which the mounting bolt psses through. My intention is to fabricate a bracket fixed to the fuselage former F5 which the bolt will screw into.

may 005.jpg

Looks a bit rough in the picture but still needs a final sanding after the leading edge is fitted.

Currently working on the servo hatches. The smaller wing is too thin to mount the servos with the spindle vertical as shown on the plan so I am going for the more conventional layout with the servo arms protruding through a slot.

Here are a couple of the "put it together and see what it looks like" pictures.

may201.jpg

may202.jpg

As a reminder to anybody following, this is being built from the originally published plan which had so many errors although I have made a few changes along the way.

• 3 weeks later...

A few updates. This is the spring latch for the hatch cover. Some ply offcuts, a piece of wire coathanger and a biro spring.

The dodgy joint at the top left corner has been sorted.

may301.jpg

The wing fixing bracket. Epoxied and pegged to the fuselage former.

may302.jpg

Elevator and rudder servos. Nothing unusual.

may303.jpg

A bit of scribble to work out the aileron linkages. This geometry gives 29 degrees up and 20 degrees down at full throw.

may306.jpg

Aileron linkage.

may307.jpg

Servo in place.

may308.jpg

Next big problem is the canopy. I have searched the supermarket shelves for a suitably shaped clear drink bottle but as yet not found anything.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Hi Roger, That's great news never expected to hear that a Corby is close to ready to its maiden.

Would love to see some pics of the Corby I sure its a lovely model to see in its 74% scale.

For the control movements not sure what to say because most of the time I use to much control movement on my models, that's what other pilots say when they fly my models.

I think that for elevator and aileron it will be just fine with 10mm max both ways and for rudder is could be a little bit more.

Hope this help you a little.

Cheers

Ton

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

img_20161022_100607367_hdr.jpgHi Ton.

Just a couple of pics - one to show what the pilot has got to look at while I fly him around the sky, and another to show the size comparison between the Starlet and my Red Eagle.

Note both pics are inside my garage - the Spring weather hare has been either too wet or too windy or both. Our club field is very wet and the grass has not been mown as the mower would sink into the surface and leave ruts.

Model is ready for maiden flight as soon as weather allows.

Regards,

Rogerimg_20161022_101122139_hdr.jpg

Roger, woooo thanks for the lovely pics like the cockpit with dash and pilot in the Corby.

Must have been lots of fun to make and makes the Corby just perfect.

I do hope you enjoy both models, as I still do myself, because both prototype models for the plan still fly great.

Must admit that with the mistake of the plan size, the Corby looks great and could be a nice size for another design.

Must admit those experimental homebuild planes make great models.

Just a small question what motor and prop will you be using in the Corby.

Enjoy the maiden and looking forward to lots of pics or even better a vdo.

Cheers

Ton

Hi Ton,

Thanks for the comments. The build was interesting as there were a few different techniques which required thinking about before acting. The ply and balsa materials had to be a nominal 75% thickness to keep the weight down. I left the wing ribs at the same thickness for ease of handling, and the fuselage sheeting in front of the cockpit had to be planked because of the dual curvature.

The motor was going to be a Dualsky 3530 1200Kv but, because a noisy bearing, a Dualsky 3536 1200Kv (maximum 350W rated motor) was installed (same mounting holes). A 30A ESC was fitted along with a 3S 2100 battery. Static current draw on a 9x4.5 prop is 18A (approx. 200W) which gives a power rating of just under 100W/lb. This is very close to one of my aerobatic models so should be plenty of power.

Will let you know about the maiden flight - could be this coming Thursday or Friday if the weather plays its part.

Regards,

Roger

• 1 month later...
Hi Ton,
Finally the weather is suitable for flying. Have maidened the Starlet but had to add side and down thrust to make it flyable. Remaining problem is to do with control throws - elevator is very sensitive but I need a reasonable amount to keep from tipping over on takeoff from mown grass field. I am investigating a couple of options to provide enough elevator authority for takeoff and landing flare but give reduced throw for normal flight.