Diamond Demon

Hi,

I built a Mini Tyro as part of this mass build back in November of last year but now I'm getting the urge to build something else. Since then I've built a funfighter and assembled a Acro Wot, but neither were as enjoyable as a good vintage build!

Over a few glasses of wine I ordered the plans for the Demon and the Mataor, so it was just a case of which to start first. Well that was fairly easy, the Matador would suit my PAW 1.49, which is currently doing stirling service in a KK Phantom C/L model, so it had to be the DD then! I've got a E-Max motor and ESC which I think will be suitable and a selection of smallish LiPos. Fingers crossed it'll work out then!

First step was to laminate the fin outline:

Laminated fin outline

I've never attempted laminating or bending wood before, so I'm pretty pleased with the outcome.

Next up was the central crutch of the fuselage

The centre crutch

Going to need a bigger building board then! I think doing it in stages will suffice for the Demon, but the Matador will certainly need something bigger!

The last bit I've done is the main former which holds the UC and originally the bearers for the motor. I'm going to mount my outrunner on some threaded rods bolted directly to this. Bending up the UC was a cause for some trepidation, but with a vice and a decent wire bender I got there. Its not perfect but the Axles line up so I'm happy with the result.

Undercarriage

The next step is to build a load of triangular formers for the lower fuselage, that'll have to wait until tomorrow.

I've no idea how long this will take, so if anybody is watching dont hold your breath. I'm grabbing every oportunity to fly at the moment, and in a lax moment ordered a vintage model boat kit to make and run with my son!

r.

Edited By Robin Kearney on 13/08/2012 21:38:52

Advert

Looks a great start Robin, I'll be watching with interest.

I guess you've spotted other Matador threads? The PAW will be great for it. Does it have a throttle? The reason I ask is that my Matador has a Frog 150 (Same size diesel) with no throttle, and it's a bit too powerful. It would be nice just to be able to stooge around under power if I wished.

Ooh KK Phantom eh? That brings back another load of memories. Was just going to ask for a few pictures but I see they are already in your albums.

Hi Chris

Yes, the PAW does have a throttle carb, although it is sporting a plain Venturi in the Phantom. There are more pics of it finished here. That is interesting to know though, thanks. I'll be sure to fit the RC carb when putting it in its new home!

As for the other threads, yes they are what got me caught on the Matador. Not sure I can create something as beautifully made as Big Bandits though, but I'll try my best

Right, a spot of progress has occured. Last night the weather was too good to pass up, so I wrung out the Acro Wot for a bit and then had a oops moment when I got dizzy with the phantom!

Sorry state of affairs

Anyway, back to the demon. I've glued up all 7 of the triangular formers for the lower fuselage. Next step is to tidy them up a bit: level off the tops and get the bottoms nicely flat to receive the 3/16" square lower longeron. I'm working from home tomorrow so I might get that done during lunch. Fingers crossed for a quiet day!

photo.jpg

p.s. If there are any mods watching do you have the ability to fix my typo in the title, it should be Diamond Demon. I dont mind looking a fool, wink but it will help others if using the search facility, ta!

Ok, so my life seems to be mostly consisting of triangles at the moment!

I managed to get the lower formers attached to the main crutch and have added the lower curved 3/16" sq.

Lower fuselage

The tail skid at the back is cut off the laminated fin outline which is the first bit I made.

Tail skid

The last step for tonight was to assemble two cabin structures, one built on top of the other over the plan in the traditional manner. These will then be glued in place ontop of the fuselage crutch, then I can move onto the upper formers. Guess what shape they are? Yep, you guessed it, more triangles! Joking asside they are what gives this model the distinctive cross section I love so much.

Cabin structure

I've spotted some fairly irritating discrepancies with the plan. I built the crutch over the plan view, and the formers over their respective drawings, then discovered the crutch was about 4mm wider than the formers. So what you see above is a second set of formers built over my own drawings!

Thats that for tonight.

r.

p.s. Sorry about the photographic quality, all shot with my phone, I really ought to dig the SLR out!

Edited By Robin Kearney on 16/08/2012 22:03:35

Edited By Robin Kearney on 16/08/2012 22:04:32

Little spot of progress tonight, I got the cabin structure built.

photo 1.jpg

And, although not pictured, I've built the upper rear fuselage formers in preperation for the upper longeron. I'm not sure how strong it will be, lots of but joints which I'm not too keen on. I'll give it a go as per plan and then if it all feels a bit weak I'll try and beaf it up a bit.

Spotted another plan weirdness. The front-most balsa triangle doesnt appear to match the ply motor mount. I'm hoping I can trim it to fit rather than re-cut the ply.

I broke my golden rule tonight - one project at a time. The little boat kit I bought to build with my son arrived today and, cut a long story short, we started it. I began the week building the crutch for the DD, I ended it building the keel for a boat smiley

photo 2.jpg

It IS vintage though wink It is the Sea Nymph from the Aerokits range. Which in the 60's and 70's used to be distributed in the UK buy Keil Kraft. Back to the Demon tomorrow and I promise no more water based malarky!

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quickie to say I'm still here, working on the boat and the Demon alternately was not doing my sanity any good, so I've put the latter down for a few days to concentrate on the boat.

I managed to complete the upper fuselage before I did however, now needing just to move onto the front sheeted sections and to get the U/C mounted onto the engine bulkhead.

Boat is coming along nicely though, should be pretty much finished this week I think.

r.

• 1 month later...

Blimey, where did 6 weeks go!? After finishing off the lads boat, I've now tidied up and started on the Demon again.

p1140962.jpg

As you can see, I've got the UC bent up and mounted and the former glued into the fuselage. That is probably it for tonight while the Epoxy sets. Tomorrow I'll crack on with building up the front of the fuselage and test mounting the motor, the captive nuts for which are already in place behind that former.

And a little snap of the boat which has delayed the build wink

dsc_8775 (1).jpg

• 3 months later...

I've just noticed that in the previosus post I was wondering where 6 weeks had gone, well now four whole months have passed since I made an update about the poor Demon. Between a first birthday of our daughter, Christmas and putting our how up for sale, time has gone by in a flash.

Progress has been made however. The fuselage is done and the servos installed, I've yet to put balsa infill where the closed loop and pushrods will exit, but the rest is finished and sanded. I've added a new former infront of F1 which the little outrunner will be mounted on, leaving enough space between the new former and F1 for a little 2 or 3s lipo should I need to get the weight that far forward.

The tailplane and fin are done and sanded, awaiting covering. And lastly as you can see, she now has wings, which were built as per plan with the exception of the 1/64" ply covering the centre section. I added this to give some protection from the bands which will be used to hold the wings on.

Couple of pics here, the rest in the gallery.

dd-1.jpg
dd-4.jpg
Thanks for looking, hopefully it won't be 4 months until she is covered up!

I've been waving the covering iron about every evening this week and have managed to get her all covered up. Couple of little patches remain which I'll get to shortly. The tailplane and rudder are all glued in place and the elevator hooked up. Next up is the rudder and then I'll get the ESC and motor in place. It is getting exciting now!

dsc_9363.jpg

dsc_9366.jpg

• 1 month later...

Finally finished the thing! It has been a bit of a labour at times, I've sort of falled out of love with it. Either way its done. I even took it over to the flats to maiden it today but it was a bit windy so it'll have to wait for another day.

AUW was 550G - and on that prop (can't remember the size) it draws 100W so I make that 83.3W/lb - should be plenty for guided free flight style flying. Right, on with the next one!

dsc_9604.jpg

dsc_9605.jpg

dsc_9607.jpg

• 1 year later...