Newbie with question on MCX2 flight character

MD

Good evening all.

Firstly introductions. I'm one of the ex-modellers who follow the forum due to a feeling that it would be nice to start again. My last radio flight was in aboout 1988 with an MFA Hummingbird. An early electric type with ex-buggy motor, batteries and radio (2 channel, rubber & elevator). Flight profile was: motor on; good hard throw; just about time for one circuit; motor battery died; glide in. Using "glide" in quiet a broad definition. It made the space shuttle look like a sailplane. I still have it so one day it may modern power & controls.

Anyway, to the quesion. I'm playing with a Blade MCX2 co-axial minihelicopter and a DX6i radio with default helicopter program. This is my first helicopter experience. I've managed to trim it to fly 'hands off' with stability in all three axis (role, pitch & yaw). But, it' also moves in a near perfect circle around a center point. The question is: is this a characteristic of helicopters that has to be flown out, or a sign of something not quiet right in the set up?

Advert

Every co-axial helicopter I have flown does that. Especially the tiny blade scout.

Also single rotor fixed pitch with "Bell-Hiller" configuration fly-bar machines have a similar behavior. Their desire to self stabilize causes what is called "toilet bowl effect" ie, fly in circles around a centre point when hovering.

One you start flying in forward flight you will notice the effect much less.

The best thing would be to progress onto a more modern flybar-less collective pitch design like the MCPX v2 or the new "Nano CPX" when it is available.