DB Sport and Scale Corben Baby Ace build

Major

Once more thank You very much for help Eddie!! Now I have to find material, as it has gone missing in my workshopwink.

Just purchased three servos. Not what I wanted (Savox), but still good TowerPro wink. Cockpit is already fitted and doped, instrument panel cut to size, everything ready for painting and fuel proofing. Most probably I will get 'tex this week and try to get her finished. Will upload some photos later.

Cheers

Tom

Advert

Hello Roger!

I'm glad You're doing her as well. Will be nice to see how others will get on.

Regarding the tank - I have been advised by Eddie to use 6oz (180ml) tank, and that's what I have installed. Fitts nicely in its place, just as a side note - do not forget to glue the tank floor before finishing fuselagecheeky. I have of course ("will do it later", now it is done, but it was not very comfortable to docheeky.

Also please do not forget to start thread and post some pics regularly. If I may be of help, will do it gladly, but support from DB is much more than enough.

Best regards!
Tom

Hi Roger,

Nicely pointed out, we don't include a tank as more & more people are preferring to fly electric these days, so it is often a non needed item. However, if you wish to use one, we suggest a 6oz square tank to fit in nicely (I have just amended our web page to the same effect).

Eddie

Edited By Eddie Stocker - DB Sport and Scale on 23/01/2013 17:16:19

Well Tom,

Nice thought, and we all have our preferences, but from where Judy & I stand, we can't pass any judgement either way, our opinions on what customers do with the aircraft would possibly be seen to be a bit biased. As you know, we try to help and asdvise in whichever direction the modeller chooses to go, we seem to get some useful feedback as a result.

Are you going to any shows this year Tom?

Eddie

Eddie

Of course I do understand Your position and have nothing against it. Lambo dealers can not tell to the customers "no! your lambo won't be painted in pink with white flowers", same situation here. And from retailer point, it was nice move to supply info and links to electric setup, this is so often missing part of any sale, and so might cut the choice/divert it somewhere else.

I do appreciate all Your help as it is, especially when Judy told me on the phone "the full size was covered in fabric, so you can use cloth or Solartex". Wow, women here in UK keep supprising mewink.

For example my personal girl knows very little about planes - green - Spitfire, yellow - Cub, triangular - military, white with stripes - Cessna, white - Concorde, broken - Dreamlinerwink. She has moments of enlightment, then I can hear a lot about models and full size planes, but not often, she hates itwink. I try to put her back on course thowink...

Re shows - I really would like to go, but now can not say anything. Time will show...

Steve

Thank You for kind comment. I don't know yet where she'll be flown, but 1000% not local park, not maiden at least. It is too big risk - I am still newbie pilot and Baby Ace is nearly three times heavier than the heaviest plane I have flown before. So no way. I already got two spots in Preston, but I am more and more tempted to join club and maiden her there. It would be about time to join and start more "pro" modellingcheeky

Cheers

Tom

Edited By Major on 24/01/2013 11:08:20

'white- Concorde', ha ha, brilliant!

I often prefer it when kits don't come with some items, that way I can fit my own for my preference.

I would reccommend flying her at a club (even if I am not in one) because then you could have an experienced modeller watch over as you fly your prized plane.

I am planning to go to Rougham and maybe North Weald.

CS

PS. I agree Tom, this plane is just made for a 40 four stroke! It'll be great on a low slow pass, then throttle up into a climb, ahhh...!

I hope it's gona survive untill its first pass CSBblush.

A little more done... Cockpit painted in blue, panel sticker on, switch harness installed, same as throttle servo and remote glow plug adapter, everything fuel proofed, now I am seriously stuck with the cowl. It is glued together, trimmed, but is seems to be a little too long. My fault is - I drilled engine mounting holes 5 mm further than I should, but drilled additional holes as far forward as I could, and even then cowl is too long and I can't get prop to spin freely. So next question to Eddie - was the cowl produced to be trimmed lenghtwise as well?

Some pictures to be added later.

PS. Yesterday I received three servos (TPSG5010) and remote glow adapter, but mrs gave me clearance to get more 'tex and few other bits. I placed order already, so next week she'll be finished for sure - if I get my stuff from Blackburn on Tuesday, by the afternoon I have Corben RTFcheeky.

Hi Tom,

Yes, normally the engine would be basically fitted, and then the cowl would be joined and the holes cut for exhaust etc. and trimmed to your acceptable length required. Our plastic cowls are always left a little longer to allow freeda bit of juggling when fitting it, it's not an exact science.

Eddie

Thanks Eddie. I thought that I forgot to sand the bottom sheet (under tank) and now I'll have to take covering off, sand to shape and recover it... But from the other side, it would look much better, will give it a gowink

Alex

You're right, just hope I won't need to wait age for nice weatherwink.

Cheers

Tom

Ok, here are latest photos

Cowl in place, engine as well. Luckily I gave myself some reserve when fitting pushrod, so even after engine went a bit to the front, it does its job perfectly.

p260113_1850[01].jpg

I'm gonna use 12x6 prop, but this one doesn't look right to me. I will purchase wooden one instead, which will be paired with alloy spinner.

p260113_1848[01].jpg

Female pilot from Giant Shark. A bit too small, with ugly face, to be repleaced as well as prop.

p260113_1849[01].jpg

Cockpit sticker from Blackburn Models does it quite ok. Cabane struts were painted in blue, but it looks as ugly as pilot, so will be repainted with white and fuel proofed.

p260113_1850.jpg

And the biggest suprise to me. Just discovered, I am able to take quite sharp photos with my current camerawink. Visible some imperfections caused by fuel proofer.

p260113_1852.jpg

And again I need some advice, What kind of gap filler would You recommend for cowling? Also what paint?? Best would be just can of sprey, I look for pearl white...

Cheers

Tom

Latest progress...

I fixed windscreen. Cutting and trial-fitting of template took me about one hour. It is not very best, but for the first time I am happy. To make it easier, I marked some dots on the fuselage, measured lenght between them and taped plastic to that exact langht. Then it was just placed on the fus and glued by CA. Small gap appeared on the front, but it will be sorted with 5min epoxy.
p280113_0317[02].jpg

p280113_0322[01].jpg

Then I realised, that I hate the look of cockpit decking. I made some nasty holes in it to accept cabane struts, but it looked very bad.

p280113_0339[01].jpg

So I fixed it with small pieces of 'tex

p280113_0421.jpg

These to be "shot" from hairdryer, just didn't want to make noise in the middle of the nightwink. I also did some work on the cowling. Drilled holes for exhaust, needle extension and remote glow plug adapter. This is total fail to me. I don't know how, but in this case "measure twice, cut once" didn't work and so half of the cowl has turned into dust, leaving huge holes everywhere.

p280113_0423.jpg

p280113_0422.jpg

p280113_0422[01].jpg

The serious problem I have here, is cowl removal. No matter how I enlarge holes, all seem to be far too small when I put the cowl onto the fuselage...

Now just hatches and headrest left, and I'll move on to the wingwink.

Thanks gents!

BBC

I'm not really ashamed... Just see, what could be done better. I'll just wait till maiden, if she flies, I will do some more work on her - like some vinyls to hide covering joints, some paintwork etc. For now she just has to flycheeky.

Eddie

Thanks. Now I have to tidy up my workshop - it is really bad if I can't find the item placed just under my handwink.

I called Blackburn Models just few minutes ago. Somehow, I gave them wrong card details on order form, so it might be delayed one day... And all I need now is some 'tex and aliphatic glue, which I used to last drop.

Cheers

Tom

Just discovered something very bad. Left nose former somehow has cracked lenghtwise just below the joint with engine bearer... That would explain, why yesterday I had a feeling like engine was moving during LiPo powered electric starter test. I fixed it using aliphatic and superphatic glue, now it is clamped to dry, in addition I will add some 3m ply where I can. However I'm not so sure if it will be safe now. Any advice what I should do extra?

Cheers

Tom

How did that happen? Never mind, there's always a solution. It will need to be strong, so a picture would be very helpful. Some plywood over it should do it if you can cut the ply to glue against a strong point. We can only guess though, so a picture tomorrow would be the best way to make suggestions. It'll be fine once fixed though, good job you spotted it!

CS

I have no idea how this happened. I suspect two things

* little crack on the front + tension from paxoline plate (down and side thrust), to which engine is screwed or

* little crack + vibration caused by electric starter..

It was from the front to the far end. I have fixed crack somehow, also coated entire former with superphatic glue. now it is nice and hard, but in addition I will place ply all over it. To prevent this happen on the other side, I glued some pieces of 0.4mm ply on the front of right former. Will upload picture later, as I jut left workshop and want to go straight to bedwink.

Thanks CSB

Tom

PS

Now ailerons are covered and hinged, cabane struts painted in white, wing fixing pins in places, but weather forecast is getting awful...

Don't forget to put some contrasting trim on your model, Tom- it's very easy (especially with grey skies) to lose orientation on an all-white model. My late brother-in-law landed a glider on the roof of a bakery because he didn't know which way it was going!

Hi again.

Sorry for little delay, I got another butt-kicking supprise, and had to stop the build for a while.

Re trim:

Of course, You're right Eck. I still can't decide, but most probably trim will be blue, Cessna-like...

Re crack:

Sorry CSB, I did try, but after I fixed it, it's impossible to spot on any photo. Nose former seems to be nice and hard now, but few pieces of ply won't do any harm...

Yesterday I got 'tex and aliphatic glue from Blackburn, so did little more.

Both wingtips are finished now.

dscf0131.jpg

Here, the port side is drying.

I also drilled some holes for servo leads and installed mounting plates, cut from ply. I know holes are not really in-line, but luckily it won't be seencheeky

dscf0154.jpg

All of the were sanded afterwards and received thin coat of glue - just in case...

I couldn't resist the urgent need to cover even a little part, so here it comes. Starboard wing tip is fully covered. Didn't come out perfect, but will do (for nowwink)

dscf0169.jpg

dscf0174.jpg

Top layer of Solartex still needs to be shrunk some more, I hope it will make the tip looking nice and round.

And my boy with her, before I told him "do not sit on my aircraft"...

dscf0158.jpg

and after...

dscf0164.jpg

Weather forecast still does not look ok for maiden, so instead of rushing I'll just take my time.... Not much left to do anyway.

Cheers

Tom

Edited By Major on 01/02/2013 04:40:28

Edited By Major on 01/02/2013 04:44:45

• 3 weeks later...

Update

Plane is finished by now. There was some problems with wing struts (kept splitting up - I drilled too small holes for fixing pins) but aliphatic glue together with thin ply sorted the problem. I fixed the nose formers, using about 1.5mm ply everywhere I could and after about two hours of running no single sign of further damage.

I could not understand, how to fit wing struts to the fuselage using just pieces of bent wire, it was quite sensitive to vibration, so instead I used 2mm bolts. These work ok on three struts, one is a little stubborn so for time being rubber band holds it in place.

Plane will not be fully white. After maiden (if it survives of course) I want to add some trim, mainly to cover some imperfections like this one visible here right in the middle of fus

dsc_0177.jpg

And few shots more from last session out (engine tuning)

dsc_0173_2.jpg

My boy teaching me how to tune engine wink

dsc_0207.jpg

dsc_0223.jpg

And start-up. LiPo powered starter works perfectly, but requires some awareness. Short circuit has melted my hex keysblush.

It was very intresting build. Sometimes challenging, but very big pleasure. I learnt a few things more (like "never clap your hands to encourage kids to do something while holding scalpel" and "no matter the size, prop in the eye hurts" winkcheekyblush). Of course, final feedback for DB Sport and Scale has to be 10 out of 10 - for quality of the kit and more than perfect customer support. Thanks a lot You all for help and advice - without this the build would be much longer.

Maiden flight is planned on the next weekend, but it depends on few things. First of all, I have to get carb and tune the engine, second - weather. If it flies, I'm gonna work a little on the cockpit and some finish.

I have already few planes in mind to do next. TN 72" Spit and FW-190, DB Spit or Hurri and TH Armstrong, but time will show.

Cheers

Tom