The Seagull E-Pioneer thread

Jon

• 3 weeks later...
Advert

Here's a picture of it in the airfield.

Well, not really in the air... cause I had nobody around to tape it

Today was just beautiful, no wind, bright sun from behind (at 6pm) ... just ideal.

After warming up with other planes, I played for 6+ minutes with the Pioneer. Straight on easy takeoff and easy, safe landing. I tried the "deadstick" landing, the bird descended nicely without stalling. The 3S battery was still on 11.27 V after the run. The power train seems to be matched, as none of the parts were hot, merely lukewarm...

The plane is just perfect With the 560W it has enough power to do loops from muscle. I have not tried corkscrews, but have no doubt that it has enough power to do it.

I am very happy now Next time I'll get a cameraman (-lady) or attach the flight cam (it is now on an other plane).

Cheers

Edited By Janos Deak on 29/05/2015 21:03:01

Looks like you enjoyed that Janos, one comment on the video camera placement. I used velcro to attach mine ( a small key fob style hd video camera) to the top of the wing far enough out to not see the prop in the video makes for a cleaner picture and saves you inverting the image to view too

I had this little bugger around and this was the best way I could figure... but very true, I'll need to get a horizontal type fast

The wingtip is a good idea.

Btw, the bottom plate with the oval holes are laser-cut (mostly) plastic sheet with stiffener and shaper bars inside with mechanical and magnetic lock.

Hi,

I have approx 10 flights in the plane, no damage to report, just plain fun . I just loooove it

Landings are safe, even in some wind...

Thanks for all of You who had helped me along.

I'll keep uploading videos on youtube, so if you'll search for the term "E-Pioneer HA-VIK", you'll find them

Cheers

Lol not had a lot of luck with my pioneer of late

Thursday - Took off, turn out of the climb into a right hand circuit - thinking to myself "its making a strange noise" then as she turn parallel with us, "something flapping at the back" comes the shout..... circle round at low level and bring her down to find the covering on the fin had stripped off and folded back over the rudder

Friday - Covering repaired - started to roll off the strip, grass too long really but I though I could get enough speed up, but no, rolling down the strip when she veered off violently to the left and was not responding to nose wheel input, large prop sending showers of grass cuttings over the wing! - powered off and checked, nose wheel servo had pulled out of the (what looks like liteply) mounting....

Saturday - some ply glued into the nose for the servo - fixed

Will we have any decent weather on Sunday..... we shall see

On my second flight today I landed a few feet short of the runway - into the sunflower field. This was the second landing attempt...

It was a windy day and a random gust of downwind gave me minus 5 feet on descent just before I could reach the strip...

Luckily, no damage to the plane - I could hardly believe it

The onboard cam video and a few pics on the destruction in the field, and the plane afterwards. I had two flights with normal landings after that - this IS a TOUGH machine

Edited By Janos Deak on 07/06/2015 15:11:04

Edited By Janos Deak on 07/06/2015 15:12:50

Edited By Janos Deak on 07/06/2015 15:15:34

Janos Watching that vid my conclusion is that you flew into a stall, mostly due to blustery conditions causing rapidly changing air speeds the pitch nose up just before the arrival is what makes me think this. a gust will have slowed the ground speed of the model and as the gust drops so does the air speed and with such a benign stall as this model has a simple drop is the result, I've witnessed this a few times on my own while on short finals in gusty weather plus as you were approaching the boundary between flat grass and the crop some turbulence would've been taking place just adding to the mix.

To be fair it's all part of the learning curve, just remember, especially in gusty conditions, to watch for ground obstacles that can cause turbulence at low level on your landing approach, wind shear bites us all !! luckily this is a model that mostly can handle it, the benign stall does at least help it land on its feet, just one thing you might want to take the wing tube and roll it across a mirror to check for slight bending after a heavy landing, it's not the hard aircraft grade aluminium that you would expect, well mine wasn't!

• 3 weeks later...
Posted by Dave Hopkin on 06/06/2015 17:15:12:

Friday - Covering repaired - started to roll off the strip, grass too long really but I though I could get enough speed up, but no, rolling down the strip when she veered off violently to the left and was not responding to nose wheel input, large prop sending showers of grass cuttings over the wing! - powered off and checked, nose wheel servo had pulled out of the (what looks like liteply) mounting....

This is where the advantage of running on 4S really shows, the EP simply leaps into the air. Bigger wheels help too in long or wet grass.