Battery change

PB

One of my high wing models is fitted with a motor which provides 815W with a 4S battery which I've been running it on up to now. It's always been a bit too lively though and hasn't behaved in a scale sort of way. I wanted it just to calm down a bit. So as an experiment I put two of my 3S 3000 Lipos in parallel and without doing any reprogramming of the ESC, connected the two 3Ss and gave it a try in my back garden.

I expected to have to reprogramme the ESC with throttle max-min etcettera, but I thought I could do that later and just wanted to see what would happen with the 3Ss intstead of the 4S. The motor chirped three times instead of four, gave the 'I'm OK' chirp and sat there waiting. I gingerly opened up the throttle and away it went. It seemed to recognise full throttle and low throttle and though I obviously couldn't check any flight settings such as brake on, (which I have set on the 4S), I had the feeling that these woud still be there in the ESC programme.

So the question is can you just swap batteries like this and expect all the ESC programming to stay the same with a different cell count battery?

Advert

Yes PB you can.

You haven't changed the throttl endpoints on your transmitter so no need to recalibrate.

The ESC will detect the number of cells as you found, and there's no reason at all why the brake setting would be related to cell count, that won't change.

What will change, is the amount of power produced at the prop. This will be far less than with the 4S.

If that's what you want then great, you should get much more duration too.