Whiz Kid builders

Advert

Nice build Rob. Looks like you had no problem with attaching film to the undercamber. For those debating flat bottom v undercamber: if you paint the bottom of the ribs with Balsaloc or Solarlac, and iron the film on to the ribs before doing the final shrinking, it is straightforward job.

Chris.

Hi Rob--I believed you, I just hadn't been able to tell from your initial pictures, hence the query. These new pictures sure show off what an excellent job you've done!

Another great build Chris--that Cliffwhacker looks the business! Didn't change much

• 5 months later...

Built mine and been test flying it recently... I built my version with no dihedral or undercamber. Balanced it at the indicated point, which required around 25gm of tail weight , but when i maidened her she was horrendously tail heavy to the point where I only just got her back down in one piece!! Removed the tail weight and she flew better, but had very little control authority. Having checked her over it looks as if I have got the tail boom in at a small angle thus affecting the tail incidence and that's probably the cause of the CG issue. Couldn't increase the control surface movement so tacked on some extensions to increase the area. that seems to have helped considerably with control. Next problem was a serious lack of power, I was using a 7x4 folding prop. I don't have a larger one with the correct shaft size for the motor to hand, so for the next flight test I will be using a regular 8x5 prop to see what effect that has. Hopefully, once the power issue is sorted she will be a nice little flyer.

A couple of pics attached below.. whizz014.jpg

whizz015.jpg

It's good to see another Whizkid underway Andy. I still fly mine on most outings. I use it to get my hand back in after a lay off. If you have had CG issues, it's probably that your carbon boom is a bit light. Others have had this problem; if you go back through the inputs you may find advice that helps. Once you get it in trim you will find it great fun to fly. Mine is pretty aerobatic, but if I had my time again, I would have made the elevator a bit bigger.

• 2 years later...

Wow, nearly 3 years since I last looked at this post. Much has happened since then, but sadly, not of the aeromodelling kind. I can however, show you some of my (still) part-built Whiz Kid, and as I said, it's different!

Let me know what you think when you see the pics.

w-kid-comp.jpg

w-kid-v-tail.jpg

w-kid-nose-rhs.jpg

Great to see the Mills powered Whiz Kid close to finishing. I will be interested to hear how the butterfly tail performs, also how the weight/performance of the Mills 1.3 compares with the vertical climb of my brushless motor and 1000 mAh battery. My Whiz Kid is still going strong, and I flew it today in brilliant sunshine.

CR

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again Chris,

I'm a bit late posting thse pics, which show the Whiz Kid in it's its original state. However…

The V-tail did throw up the problem of causing a difficult to control Dutch roll which, not helped by my inconsistent flying, made me re-think the design. So, it's back to your original tail feathers design (eventually). Hope you approve.

Currently stripped of the V-tail, it awaits my (slow) attention. The stab and fin are made, but not yet fitted, and who knows? I might even resist and go electric!

w-kid nose end view.jpg

w-kid frt view.jpg

w-kid tail view.jpg

Great colour scheme Geoff which suits the model very well. Shame the V tail didn't work out as it looks good. If you are going back to convetional tail feathers, I would increase the size of the elevator a bit. My design is fine for a whizzy glider, but a bigger elevator would make it a bit more aerobatic. Got to make a new battery hatch for mine as it fell off last time out.

CR

Posted by Chris Reid on 16/05/2018 18:45:22:

…I would increase the size of the elevator a bit. My design is fine for a whizzy glider, but a bigger elevator would make it a bit more aerobatic.

Elevator already increased, I think because of previous comments on here.

Aerobatic? Me?
Not really. I just want something which will climb and then glide back home, hence the free-flight tank refitted to the Boddo Mills. The r/c carb is not too controllable, although I could still do a bit more tuning to improve it.

I was pleased with the V-tail's appearance - it really does seem to look right, but it obviously wasn't to be, or was it my shortcomings in piloting skills? Quite possibly! thinking

My guess on the V tail is that you may have insufficient angle between the surfaces, and effectively insufficient fin area. Martin Simon's design book recommends 110 degrees, and the same area as a conventional fin and tailplane, but I would have gone closer to 90 with the same area as fin and tp. But who am I to challenge the master?

CR