Help tracking down a battery

Hi all,

I'm building a 1/4 scale Piper Cub with a petrol engine.

The engine needs a minimum 2200 mah NICD Battery of 4.8 or 6.0 v to power the ignition system.

I can find lots of LiPo's and NiMh packs but not NiCd

The instructions clearly state "under no circumstances use NiMh or LiPo batteries, you must use NiCd"

Any one got any ideas where I can find a battery of this type and capacity? (I've tried the usual suspects)

Regards

Clive

PS I've no idea what the technical reason is for stipulating the use of only  NiCd's ?

Advert

This short piece may help to explain the differences. Having said that I would not have classed an ignition system as particularly high current drain, and many people I know use NiMh. Nicads are considered very environmentally unfriendly these days, and will be as rare as hens teeth. I suggest you contact the system providers and explain your dilemma and see what they say. Nimh versus Nicad

PS if the only issue is one of current capability, then perhaps if the model doesnt mind the extra weight, you could use a much bigger capacity NiMh pack than 2200m/a. I also suggest you post this in another section, such as scale, or "general" as many people with large petrol powered models will not be dipping in this here electric section

Not being any kind of expert on the matter, surely the thing to do is to get more then one NiCad pack, take it apart and rebuild it with some of the cells in parralel? I dont see why not, so it mystifies me to see that no one else has surgested it yot... Hope you work something out eventually, and I'me jealoug of the plane (though I've only done sim's for now).