JR XG8 - losing data

Stevo

Hi All..

I'm a happy user of a JRXG8.

If you have one, try this:-

1. Create a new model and give it a name
  2. Set some rates, expo, subtrims - does not matter on the numbers as long as they are not the defaults
  3. Bind it to a receiver
  4. leave it on this model
  5. leave Tx on - until battery runs out fully

Charge the Tx and power it on. Does the model exist? I've done it twice now and it loses it!!

Feedback welcome!

Advert

Hi Stevo.

This is all guesswork:-

Surely the model memories should be retained is the Tx battery has to be taken out for any reason?

Older JR radios had a small internal battery for the purpose of retaining memory settings etc, IIRC, this had to be changed by having the radio serviced every few years.

I'd expect newer radios to use a non volatile memory for this purpose instead of relying on any battery at all.

I think I'd at least be contacting JR for advice, or sending it back to be checked.

As there is no "save" button on a TX, you will find that the software engineers use the option to "save on switch off". As you are letting the battery go flat rather than switching it off via the switch it never gets the signal to run the save routine so just forgets the settings. This is a not a bug, it is just how the save option has been implemented.

I think Spektrum do the same, when I turn off my DX8 I am sure it quickly shows "saving settings" on the LCD just as it powers down.

Edited By WolstonFlyer on 08/06/2013 20:30:56

Indeed - no save button..

But I have had this happen with two models, after they have been set up and the Tx powered off gracefully. But, change to that model and leave it switched on and the settings vanish.

My theory is that any settings are saved to NVRAM (or EEPROM as we used to call it!!) once any setting is changed.. but does not explain the vanishing of data.

Once I get a working setup, I save it to the SD card as a backup, and pop it into my laptop and back that up too!

A conversation with JR will ensue I guess!

• 3 weeks later...

Hmmm. I have the XG8. I'd never let the battery fully discharge though. Surely that's the quickest way to kn*cker the li fe battery? Whenever I've got the low battery warning I've switched off and re charged. I think it actually switched off once automatically when I wasnt quick enough at switching off. I hadnt lost model settings after a recharge though so maybe there's a fault with yours?

That said, you can save model settings to the sd card which wont lose the settings unless you're really unlucky and it gets corrupted.

Incidentally, JR recommend use only of their 'special' branded SD card which costs more than others. They even go so far as to say other cards wont work but, I found a San Disk one works perfectly.

Edited By Piper Cub on 30/06/2013 11:11:23

Edited By Piper Cub on 30/06/2013 11:31:34