Morley carbon 60 os max 61

Mick Spiby

Could someone please clarify if possible, the roation of the blades on said Heli.

Here on this you tube clip they clearly go anti clock..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENG30ChL67w

And yet here you can clearly see the blade direction in this picture.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a326/kitchenfm/hayling119.jpg

Now i'm not clever enough to know if it is possible to go one way and then the other after some twiddling with clutch, bearings etc so I'm grounded on this.

Further to this I have no manual to rely on.

Hope you can help.

Mick.

Advert

Mmmm I would agree with your conclusions looking at the video & the pictures.....

As far as I'm aware there isn't a way to change the rotation without some serious work on the mechanics....could it be that the one in the picture has been set up wrongly & the owner might get a shock when he opens the throttle....?? teeth 2

I assume you have one? Which way does the autorotation clutch work (assuming the model has one..)? 99.9% of glow engines rotate anticlockwise when seen from the front..can you work forward from there & determine the direction the rotors should spin?

Something in my dim & distant memory tells me that Morley choppers did rotate their blades in the opposite direction to the majority of other models but I'm not sure...

Confusing isnt it... if the clockwise image did start I wonder what it would do? but yes it would be quite funny, on the other hand would you tell him or her....?

You assumed correct about me owning one, The autorotation clutch allows the head to freely turn clockwise as does the bottom bearing, turning the head anti clock engages the tail rotor and the bottom one way bearing. If the head spins freely as it does with mine, is it saying its a clocwise model?

Still at a loss to a degree at least.

It sounds to me like your model is set up for clockwise rotation of the rotor head then.

Can you start the engine & see which way it drives the rotor......my money would be on clockwise....

As long as the blades & paddles face the correct way it should be fine. If the blades/paddles face the wrong way then I doubt it would fly well...if at all.....

It might be that the video was simply "wrong" & misleading...maybe it was "flipped" or something during the editing process...who knows, but as my old Granny used to say "Never believe what you hear & only half of what you see!!!" teeth 2

Clockwise I think also but like you say I'll try and start it when Ive given it a check over and see what happens. The video could well be edited in such a way to give the opposite impression of rotation but one thing for sure is your Granny being right.

No doubt I will bump into some other minor/major problems along the way, so my first point of call will be here rather than searching youtube and sites that confuse me...

nerd

As far as I'm aware, all Morley helicopters had anti clockwise rotation on the blades looking from above, similar to the Vario machines. They look a bit strange when hovering as the opposite skid sits down a little.

I would set it up with th blades running anti clockwise. Are you new to the hobby? If so, please find someone to help or check it over. Morley's are vintage helicopters but the do fly well. Spares might be an issue if you break anything though.

• 3 months later...

Agreed with Simon above, these machines did indeed have anti clockwise rotation on the main rotors. I have a Heim Machine and a Graupner / Heim machine both with anti clockwise rotors.

Check out the article here : **LINK**

You can see quite clearly from the pics it is anti clockwise. There is also a link there re changing it over to clockwise rotation should you wish to do so.

Mark

Given that the blades/clutch (usually the fingers trail)/autorotation one way bearing have to work together, from experience it does not matter one iota which way the blades rotate. Engine rotation/gearing determines the one way direction, which determines the rest.

Obviously easier to experiment with a electric model though! Have played with a few 450 chassis where a scale body is being used, also reversing the tail drive to the left side as per many if not most real world prototypes.

Just in process of setting up a 450 sized Sikorsky Dragonfly, flybarless, three blade head, correct rotation directions and tail orientation. (It has flown with std blade directions).

They don't tend to fly too well if the blades are on backwards though, and I have found this "feature" on a number of beginner builds passed to me to get working in my time, especially on the tail!!