Help Please: So What Is It Then?

Hello

A friend gave me this model recently and although I have the instruction manual it is unclear as to precisely what model it is and who it was made by.

img_0841.jpg

img_0843.jpg

It may be an X-Tech kit originally supplied by ProBuild, Blandform Forum. They were very polite & helpful when I rang them and they *thought* it might be a (now discontinued) Yak 63 (does that even exist?). Is anyone able to definitively identify it please?

The airframe, including servos, but without power plant weighs just over 2Kgs. Wingspan is 1500mm and fuselage length of 1360mm.

The manual suggests a 2 stroke engine of 52 - 70 size or 4 stroke 63 - 70 size. It previously had a oily YS it it btw.

I would like to put an electric motor in it and, whilst the manual says that it is suitable for electric power, it doesn't give any specifics. The ProBuild guys (understandably) didn't really want to commit themselves on this question but suggested that a 400Kv motor on 6s lipos of around 1500 - 1700 watts *might* be suitable.

How does this set up sound? It would be very helpful to receive some specific motor suggestions (say from HK / Purple Power / BRC etc) so that I can compare specs & prices etc.

Although I already have a number of leccy planes this one is a step up in terms of size & power for me so I am outside my comfort zone and would welcome advice about suitable powertrains etc.

Thanks,

John

Advert

Hi Mark

Thanks for the response smiley

I too thought that it was a Yak 54 but despite quite a lengthy search on the web I haven't been able to find this particular kit.

It is certainly a popular aircraft to be modelled. I have found big ones, small ones, foam ones, balsa ones, some with an identical colour scheme to mine and others with totally different decoration but none that seem to match it perfectly in terms of apearance & dimensions.

Ultimately it doesn't really matter if I can't specifically identify the manufacturer but I would nevertheless very much appreciate some guidance on a suitable electric powertrain for this size & type of model if anyone is able to assist please?

Thanks,

John

Hi John,

Still can't identify the manufacturer for yours but I have found a link that will help you out. This model is the same wingspan as yours. Suitable for either electric or Nitro.

Have a look at page 36 of the download manual for some specs. The best specs for motor, battery size etc are on the model review link underneath. Specs are in the black box on the right side of the page. Should be a good safe set up for yours.

Scroll down the page on this link to find the download manual and review article links as mentioned above.

**LINK**

Mark

Hello Mark,

Thanks very much indeed for going to all that time and trouble to find this for me smileysmileysmiley.

The specs are incredibly close to mine and the layout & construction details are virtually identical. The same kit with a different label on the front I wonder?

It will be an easy job now to find a suitable motor & speed controller.

Thanks once again for your help with this which is genuinely appreciated.

Cheers,

John

Hi John,

No problem and glad to help, I quite agree with you in the fact that this could be the same model rebranded as X-tech / Probuild certainly don't seem to produce one in this size anymore.

I did notice that the engine size range on the review model was slightly different to yours (although yours does fall within the same range) possibly either due to a slightly heavier model on the new one or the specs have been revised to give the best performance (very common in the latter case)

From the review the model flies well on the specified electric set up (I always read the reviews as they tend to be more honest and suggest any necessary changes to get the best out of a particular model) If the review model flew well on this set up as it did in this article, then yours should be a superb performer and a lot of fun to fly.

Good luck and I hope you have a lot of fun, It's a nice looking plane too.

Mark

Hi John,

No problem and glad to help, I quite agree with you in the fact that this could be the same model rebranded as X-tech / Probuild certainly don't seem to produce one in this size anymore.

I did notice that the engine size range on the review model was slightly different to yours (although yours does fall within the same range) possibly either due to a slightly heavier model on the new one or the specs have been revised to give the best performance (very common in the latter case)

From the review, the model flies well on the specified electric set up (I always read the reviews as they tend to be more honest and suggest any necessary changes to get the best out of a particular model) If the review model flew well on this set up as it did in this article, then yours should be a superb performer and a lot of fun to fly.

Good luck and I hope you have a lot of fun, It's a nice looking plane too.

Mark

Edited By Mark Stevens 1 on 30/09/2013 00:58:32