BTE models Flyin' King

Andy Butler

I had a punt on this on Ebay the other day and to my surprise I 'won' it. I had never heard of it but looked around the net and BTE have a good website with lots of pictures of completed examples, so I thought why not? I actually paid 36 whole pounds and one penny. Bearing in mind it's 80.5" wingspan (the Super Flyin' King is 132 inches) I wasn't expecting too much. How wrong I was - the kit is amazing, obviously American (as you can tell by the slightly naff name) and the hardware is all imperial but there is an awful lot of wood in the box and all nicely cut and finished. The box had only been opened for the photographs and on one side still had the factory seal on it. OK some would say that it's as ugly as sin but for what I paid it's an absolute steal. So that's my winter project sorted. Now all I need is a shiny new engine for it. It needs to be a four stroke and I am tending towards the OS 95V for its slightly retro look, which should provide plenty of power. The recommendation is 70 to 91 four stroke so that should fit nicely. So two questions;

1. Has anyone else built one of these - or even seen one?

2. What engine would you use? Bearing in mind I might be using this as a glider tug in the future.

Edited By Andy Butler on 03/10/2013 13:06:49

Edited By Andy Butler on 03/10/2013 13:07:22

• 3 weeks later...
Advert

OK so it looks like no one has seen one of these before.

I went with the OS 95V in the end as it has no cowl, it will be in plain sight so I wanted it to look good. I brought it into work today for the engineers to drool over, they love anything shiny. I will post a picture or two once I've wiped the dribble off.

I also have everything else I need now, servos, receiver, tank, mount and wheels. Would anybody be interested in a build blog? It won't be just yet, I still have the cub to finish so following that now that flying is limited by the weather.