Voodoo micro PSS - Maiden

James Y

So I haven't been getting much slope action over the past few years because of the "growing" family. So the last couple of weeks I thought I'd try something different - a micro PSS - whack it in the boot, leave it there for the opportunity, that sort of thing. Only cost £15 all up to finish + some micro gear I had lying around, so I thought what have I got to loose?

Voodoo QX micro sloper

So yesterday I trimmed it on the flat (trimmed-ish as it is way too fast/whippy to chuck glide trim properly) and took it to the slope. There is certainly a knack to flying this little beasty - you need to really wang it past the slope edge turbulence and get it out fast with rates really, really low. I ended up with 30% travel and 60% expo. Once you're out though - woosh, it's like a super powered gnat. Take the rates off and the adrenaline rush is massive. Add in the taileron mixer to the normal flapperons and its darn near too fast - I whacked it into the ground at full speed 3 times without damage (I guess because of the size) - last two crashes the nose ended up burying itself to the canopy like a spear.

This one is going to need some getting used to, but sooo much fun in trying!

Edited By James Y on 11/04/2014 15:44:56

Posted by Bill_B on 11/04/2014 16:59:30:

Looks interesting, is it a converted EDF kit, or is it kitted purely as a slope soarer? Could do with some more info please.

Nothing so high tech or complex! It's a £7 EPO free flight foam glider in its original form - the Estes Falcon. I got mine from my LMS, but you can get them anywhere:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Estes-4011-Falcon-Glider/dp/B0084JTDFW

Like I said, all up it's about £15 to make and the mods are really quick. I carbon stripped mine and then glass skinned it with an 2*HK sheet which cost £1 and some resin (but you could PU varnish it). It comes out unbelievably stiff - about the same as my DLG and with around the same weight as my Alula. Thats with 4 servos, a 4ch full range 2.4Ghz Rx (I'll never use the range!) a battery and a lost model! All the RC kit is internal as there's enough room so it looks good too.

voodoo qx  with tx for size comparison

Rc gear

controls

Yeah I'll try and grab a vid, but I usually end up flying alone these days due to the odd hours I get available. That photo in flight was taken with one hand while flying with the other - not easy with this thing! There is this vid of a conversion to electric and TBH the performance is very similar (although the guy has left the dihedral in which I removed in my Voodoo version). I may well get another and do a electric version of the "Voodoo":

**LINK**

I'm working on a car at present, but when I get a moment I'll dig out some more photos and do a write up on the mods and installation process if you're interested.

Edited By James Y on 11/04/2014 19:38:04

• 1 month later...