H9 pulse 40 v Ripmax acrowot artf

I've been asked by an acquaintance from the US which would I prefer out of the two models in the title.

I've never owned either but have owned the H9 pulse 60 and several kit built acrowots.

I prefer the latter hands down as in my opinion the H9 pulse 60 has been lightened to the point of flimsiness.

What does the team think? Either ic or electric btw.

Edited By Braddock, VC on 19/04/2014 20:01:08

Advert

Steve, have you owned either? I'm not being offensive but don't want to recommend to him a model based on nice to have, as I'm aware of his circumstances.

F'rinstance I've had neither but based on the pulse 60 and the three acrowot kits I've built the acrowot kit is by far the better for me, much more robust but it's not an artf and the pulse 60 I owned flew a treat with a saito 125 up front but it was so flimsy, the u/c was ripped out several times the fuselage broke off at the former the wing dowel fitted in and the alloy u/c was as rigid as parboiled spaghetti. The acrowot kit didn't suffer from any of these problems and my current one has an os 91 fx in it, the other two had a variety of motors in from piped 45 ys through 55 ax , 82 saito and 91 surpass so it can take all I can throw at it but, as I said above, it's not the artf which I haven't owned.

All the reviews seem to indicate that the artf acrowot is at least 8 ounces heavier than a similarly engined kit version and, quite possibly , nearly double that. I've not seen one fly but have heard that it's very capable but that's not in comparison to any other of the models mentioned above. I seem to recall a review in rcme where the reviewer said he favoured the artf A/W over the kit one but this is from the back of my mind and I can't be too sure.

I've got a Pulse and and an Acro wot and I have to say I prefer the AcroWot every time, something about the way it flys I just feel more at home with it.

Just noticed, you said Pulse 40, mine is the slightly smaller 25. So actually it might behave a little different to the 40. Sorry if everything I've just said is useless then!

r.

I've flown the Pulse & I own an ARTF AW......currently sporting a 91 FS up front......I found the 70 FS a bit lacking in the up bits.....

But yes you are right....its a very personal thing.....I might find a model smooth, powerful & responsive whereas you might find it twitchy & fast.....it depends on how you like your models set up I suppose...

Thanks steve, he just wants reassurance before buying vietnamese british! I think. The Pulse is as american as pecan pie and is/was a huge seller over there whereas the A/W is only starting to make dents in the sales figures - he just wants to be sure.

Robin, if you have an A/W artf and favour it strongly it's relevant. No doubt it'll appeal to him.

It's very difficult to compare small planes with a bigger version, I have an Xtrawot with an OS 160 fx in but have yet to fly it, I feel that it will be a much smoother performer than my A/W with the 91 Fx in even though the power weight ratios are very similar. Similarly the various sizes of pulse seem to get smoother the larger they get if gossip is anything to go by.

FWIW in a head to head the planes have very similar dimensions and weight so it may all boil down to the aesthetics.

That's true Braddock, it is the ARTF built up AW, not the foamie. I've a OS FS81a up front which provides plenty of go.

And I would second what Tom said, last time I landed my pulse the UC plate came right out, none of the wood split, it broke right along the glue line. Think I'll be using something stronger than the Pritt Stick eflite used when I put it back together!

The comment about the tail being made of oak is also true, although I know a guy with one which needed no lead up front so presumably the skill of choosing the wood is lacking in the factory.

r.

If your mate just wants reassurance about the acrowot rtf, then reading the various references on this site should help. I have one with an sc70 4stk, it is not tail heavy, in fact I have added 20gms to the tail to bring the cg back, it flew well without it but is better with the cg where it is now. So maybe it depends on the particular kit. It is very strong and withstands lots of abuse, though I replaced the steel uc bolts with m5 nylon, after a heavy landing or two weakened the uc mounting plate.

I reckon they are a bargain at £115. When this one falls apart ( if it does) I will replace it.

tell him to get one, he will not be disappointed