Any surplus SAS craft?

I'm making my Wildthing, very slowly, as it's all very new. I in the meantime bought a Fusion so I could start flying. I've now broke the fuselage on that and although it's a pretty simple fix, it's actually quite useful in making the Wildthing to be able to see inside the entrails of the fuse on the fusion.

But I have nothing to fly with .. so any surplus SAS models out there I could buy? The more RTF the better I'm in Sussex but I'll also be at Blackbushe on Saturday 17th May.

I expect it would take me a few hours IF (note the size of the if) I knew what I was doing and didn't have to google etc for hours at each stage (even choosing batteries for it took 3-4 hours and choosing a battery charger took 10-20+ hours).

When I do get it launched for the first time, first ever model etc, it will be a great feeling!

Thanks for the link.

Yes if you can wrap a Christmas present you can make up a Wildthing. However I found that I had concern with all that cross-weave and coloured tape to be stuck down, I would finish up with creases but it all turned out OK in the end. I was somewhat fortunate that I bought a second hand transmitter with a Wilthing 60 already programmed on it so apart from adding a bit of extra lead on the nose the plane flew very well from it's first flight.

In an earlier blog someone noted that the fixings of the control horns on the elevons is somewhat critical so that the push rods do not snag in the fuselage. It is necessary to fix the control horns at the extreme ends of the elevons to avoid the problem.

MJEFlair Heron 2014

Wildthing rear 003.jpg

Thanks Mike, good photos too!

I will definitely finish my Wildthing mybe even next month, it's just that I deviate often to study different thigs at each stage. Eg what servos are, and if futaba connectots on Vagangy (I don't recall the peoper battery name ottomh) Rx packs connect to Spektrum AR400s, and do AR400s fit in FT wing servo holes (they do, but the rotating dodas that connect to elevons don't fit, so now I need to find horns at Blackbushe) and why with all this stuff connected doesn't it bind (cos I have the cables all the wrong way round).

Will anyone being selling secondhand planes at Blackbushe? I also, having today seen a HK Bixler fancy one of those, and I also fancy a Radian. But the SAS planes are still top of my list.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Matt, yes in the end we decided the Blob was too delicate for me. I've a Fusion now, which almost roubust enough for me not to damage it. I've also the WT kit in train ... they're a lot of fun the SAS craft.