Ron Moulton Druin Turbulent Aeromodeller 1955

Advert

It is in the RCME X list and I include a link to there showing several turbulents. The one you want is fsp613 plan

**LINK**

It was on the back of the mamselle plan which I have but in very poor condition having been used several times

enjoy the build

john

Hi John,

Thanks for the link, I had a look at the X-plans but missed the Druine Turbulents!

The fsp613 plan seems the correct Ron Moulton plan, the picture in the X-plans is

not very distinct, but I can make out the wing slots which are correct.

Regards, Ian

Ian,

the plan i have ( free plan from aeromodeller xmas ) has the number fsp 613 and states quite clearly its by ron moulton, so you are clear to go on that one

RCME plans service is not all that great at illustrating models - a poor show in this day and age when you can get photos from modellers easily and copy them into the plans servoce using modern digital aids.

Also there is no excuse for ditching plans ( or relegating them to a backwater such as x plans ) with all the modern draughting facilities available to keep masters of all plans and print as required - just look at the difference laser and cc cutting based on computer dwgs has made to number of kits now available

john

Thanks John,

I immediately ordered the fsp 613 plan when I read your post. It definitely seemed to be the right plan, I could just make out the wing slots in the picture, this convinced me! So, after fifty eight years, I'm now going to be able to build a model of one of the prettiest home build low wingers I know!

Regards, Ian

. . . And a BIG thanks to the Forum, you have always come up with the answers I need.

I have got a copy of that plan I think as there was an offer of free plans from the Aeromodeller magazine for the summer holiday of 1961, and I think it was one I selected.It had a Vic Smeed Mamselle plan on the reverse side. I will check in the morning.---I never did make the plane, but my friends and I made the Simple Simon C/L plane which had a PAW 1.49 for power and was also a free plan on offer at that time.

Oh dear I just noticed you have ordered the plan and someone above has given you the same information!

MJE

Edited By Mike Etheridge 1 on 09/07/2014 00:26:46

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the reply, it is strange that you can hunt for something for years and never see it, then suddenly, like busses, they all turn up at the same time!

If the plan is the original published and you are willing to part with it, I am very interested.

Thanks again, Ian

Hi Mike,

I''ve just noticed, you mention that Vic Smeed's plan for the Mamselle is on the back oft he plan of the Druine Turbulent, this I did not Know. Coincidently I'm building Vic Smeed's Ballerina at the moment (need to get my hanger full again after leaving almost everything behind in a museum in South Africa! I've fancied the Mamselle for some time so if I could make you an offer for the combined plan I would be more than willing.

Regards, Ian

I am about to copy four Chris Olsen plans at the local printers,so if I can find it I will get both the Mamselle and Druine Turbulent copied at the same time. The cost including post will not be high.

Of course the Druine Turbulent was designed for free-flight, have you likely to add miniature radio and electric power?

Best Wishes,

Mike

Edited By Mike Etheridge 1 on 09/07/2014 11:08:07

Ian,

I have found the plan(s) they have never been built on and have yellowed but should print OK after a few Sellotape repairs. They were with some other plans including a Peacemaker,Rogue, parts of a KK Junior 60 plan and Matador plan. I noticed also I have Mercury Texan and KK Caprice kits in my wardrobe which my wife is threatening to clear out when she retires in a couple of weeks, so the Druine Turbulent plan was certainly under threat !

I have it in mind to build a Southern Dragon plane at some time with miniature radio but I was daft enough to give my nephew the plan together with a KK Pirate plan. He is bound to have lost them as he has moved home a number of times since.

The plans:

p7080064.jpg

p7080065.jpg

p7080066.jpg

Mike

Ian,

Log -in and then look for your 'in-box' at the top left hand of the home page. Once you open your 'in-box' you will notice that the arrangement is the same as e-mail and is of course private.

I have mended the plan with invisible mending tape and for now have added it to the file containing Chris Olsen's plans prior to going to the printers well away from my wife!.

Best Wishes,

Mike

ian,

I have just seen your PM and assume as you have been given a copy of the plan and the 1955 Aeromodeller magazine you do not require an extra plan? What about the Mamselle plan?

I will be going to the printers who are relatively local to you in the Brighton Road just beyond South Croydon bus garage tomorrow having cancelled this morning's trip due to the weather. I will be having some Chris Olsen plans copied.

Regards,

Mike

Vic Smeed's Mamselle is a great design and the original 38" span free plan from the 50's is still listed in the X plans - here

**LINK**

the search only showed one mamselle but rcme published a 54" version for RC a few years ago and that should have showed up - suggest you look at all plans under £20 - its in there somewhere

The mamselle scales up nicely - I have built 3 off 72" span and a 108" span all with virtually no change to design or construction. Dont reduce the dihedral for the scale ups - it doesnt look right.

Why 3? The first was a lightweight built for RC training for ATC cadets - no buddy boxes then so needed a stable flier - in trouble? - throttle back and hands off and the Mamselle sorts herself out. 2nd one built for myself before the 108" version. 3rd build more recently as a successful test bed for covering with doped 100% polyester dress lining as a much cheaper alternative to solartex as my next build would have needed over £100 solartex to cover

the 108" span mamselle is over 25years old and still flying allbeit with a new covering - can be seen here on utube

**LINK** this video taken on vhs about 1990 and converted to dvd

The recovered verion can also be seen on Micks utube collection which if you are into vintage are all worth a look as well as providing some inspiration for your next ( first ) vintage build

john

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the message. If the two plans have not yet been copied then please don't copy them for me. I'm sorry for the wild goose chase I've caused you, but your effort has been truly appreciated!

If you have had them copied I would still be delighted to buy them. I had intended using the plans you copied for the building and save the original.

Regards, Ian

Hi Mike,

A 'Mega Mamselle' sounds very impressive! It would be a very stable platform for aerial photography, good carrier as a colossal toffee bomber, with a decent engine/motor an impressive glider tug and for pure size a great status symbol! Yes, 118" should be ideal . . . . .

Regards, Ian

re mega mamselle and aerial photography - been there and done that a long time ago.

chap turned up at field with small vhs video tape camera ( this was long before the modern miniture stuff available now.) He was looking for a model to trial the camera and my big mamselle fitted the bill.

camera was rubber banded onto top of centre of wing pointing slighly down over the nose.

When played back on the tape unit he had with him, the most striking thing was as the revs varied , the strobe effect would give variation between slow forwrd, static and slow back. The quality of the video looked good and he promised to send me a copy of the tape but unfortunately never did. If he is in on this forum, please could I have a copy

Nowadays, in addition to miniature recording cameras and telemetry, the use of brushless electric motors helps to cut out any engine vibration - fortunately our heath robin rubber banding dampened out the 4 stroke vibration.

John

There is nothing new under the sun, or so they say. Mega-Man'selles with video cameras, it is such a stable platform that I think I may join you on the mega side of the fence!

Talking about nothing new, the earliest radio controlled aircraft, that I know of, was a full size D.H. Tiger Moth in the early days of W.W. II. No Spektrum or JR for the controls but instead a telephone rotary dial, you dialled say 5 to turn left and maybe 6 for a right turn, you dialled for engine speed, etc. Don't think Health and Safety or the local council would classify it as a park flyer nowadays, but fly it did.

Re-inventing the wheel can be fun, and I don't think I could get half the fun out of modelling if I did not get to try out new ideas (for me) each time I came across a building problem . . .