Gartt 20A (DDT - 30A) Esc's opinion needed if you can help please

I have 6 of these Gartt 20A ESC's bought from Gartt Via Aliexpress for a hexacopter I intend to build eventually,

Gartt 20A ESC's

I wanted to flash SimonK to these but reading up a little on Simon Kirby firmware it seems to make quite some difference in which MOSFETS are used to drive the motors and I don't particularly want to burn out the ESC's mosfets because of frequency mismatching, the esc's look very similar to a couple of others on the net like the DYS 30A

DYS 30A

yes there are subtle differences in component orientation and track layout but apart from this they look almost identical in design, can anyone comfirm this? perhaps the Gartts's are a clone or visa versa?

I have taken some time to take a picture of one of my Gartt's and add the details (1st pic) in the hopes it will help get an answer on what SimonK firmware I might be able to flash or to whether I shouldn't flash at all because of incompatibility which would be a shame, from what research I have done I think the TGY firmware might be the one but I would value the opinion of anyone with previous knowledge as to whether this may be possible.

Here is a video of the beep sequence when driven from a servo tester, aparently you can tell SimonK's firmware from the beeps? might the Gartt's already be flashed with SimonK as standard?

I have tried contacting Gartt and there are communication issue due to the language barrier I think as they weren't very helpful at all

Advert

They could look indentical but could differ massively, a stock photo is not ideal to base a decision on.

The aliexpress website lists those with simonk altready installed. Check your order and see what it was you bought, it might tell you what firmware is already installed.

Edited By John F on 08/08/2014 08:10:01

Hi George,

i have flashed several esc's with SimonK firmware, however none of them sounded like yours (rcgroups video), normally if they have SimonK firmware already flashed the listing will state it as it's a good selling point. The codes on the mosfets show that they are n channel devices, however apart from that I cannot see any other information about them and if they were mine I certainly wouldn't risk flashing them.

Gartt do have a facebook page and I have asked the question about the matter there, if I get a reply I will let you know.

cheers Adrian

@ John, I have looked at the traces and components of the two esc's and apart from orientation the actual traces follow the same paths, the ATMEGA are the same as are the regulators, the components may look a different colour but they have the same values apart from the mosfets which can't be seen so I can't sear for data.

I checked before I bought them by asking the supplier if they were flashable and preinstalled with SimonK and the only answer I got was yes! I asked for specifics and got no answer in return.........

@ Adrian, I have also asked on the facebook page but got no reply, I have also asked in different forums but still no reply, this forum has so far been the best RC forum I have joined, folk see to be very friendly and willing to help which is more than could be said for the others!

Thankyou very much both for your opinion, it helps alot........I will do some more in depth research in the meantime and see what I can find out......though I have researched a fair bit already and I have a hunch the ESC's are flashable, now i think its just a case of working out which file to download and burn, I may even try to draw a diagram of both of these for comparison........but until then any more opinions would be much appreciated.

Cheers Guys beer