Taranis Vario deadband

Chris Bott - Moderator

Somewhere around the upgrade to V2.0 of the OpenTx firmware on Taranis, the operation of the Vario tones on the Tx changed.

Before the upgrade, I could be gliding around at minimum sink speed and there would be silence. If the glider climbed, I would get climbing tones, rising in pitch with faster rates of climbs. If it hit Sink, I would hear sink tones, reducing in pitch as the sink got worse.

After the firmware upgrade though, there was always a vario tone. Some glider guys clearly like it this way, but I just find it annoying, and I'm sure other pilots at the patch must do too. I added a switch to the function so I could switch it off, and it seems to stay switched off a lot of the time. So what to do about it?

Well, I've just had a play with some programming, I could see that I can make logical switches that are switched on when 'V speed' is above a set rate, or below a set rate.

These have been set up :-

L1 a<x VSpd -1.0 m/s SFdown.

gives me: Logical switch L1 is ON when vertical speed is lower than -1m/s i.e. in sink.

L2 a>x VSpd 0.1 m/s SFdown

gives me: Logical switch L2 is ON when vertical speed is higher than 0.1 m/s i.e. in even the slightest lift.

Both will only operate when switch F is in the down position. (So I can still switch it off)

Now, to make both of these cause vario sounds, I went to Special functions and added two here:-

SF10 L1 Vario
SF11 L2 Vario

These cause the Vario tones to sound whenever L1 or L2 are on, i.e. when the glider is in lift or sink. But not otherwise.

I'm sure I'll have to change the numbers, but on test in the workshop, this seems to work just as I wanted smiley

Advert

Good one Chris. I think I'll give that a go.

Today I tweaked my settings and on a 3 way switch had: vario tones, audio read out of Vspd at 5 secs intervals, and audio readout of alt. at 10 secs intervals. Volume controlled by a slider, so able to silence whichever I had selected whenever.

Was good to have the variation available on the switch and was enjoying the afternoon until a rather large thunderstorm sneaked up behind me and put a stop to it. Boy, did it rain!

Love my Taranis.

Steve