Have I killed my Taranis?

Chris Jones 7

Advert

Chris, a quick way to get your Taranis working again would be to install a module in the slot at the back.

This one should give exactly the same functionality as the internal one. For £19.79

Sorry - should have said, the DJT version fits the slot and is the telemetry one.

Edited By Chris Bott - Moderator on 19/09/2014 18:43:33

And having thought about it some more, I'm thinking I'm wrong. I'm not sure the external slot supports telemetry functions. Anyone know for sure?

Edited By Chris Bott - Moderator on 19/09/2014 18:44:50

Edited By Chris Bott - Moderator on 19/09/2014 18:45:22

The photo's a bit small, but it does look very much like the pad's disappeared. As the PCB is otherwise scrap, I would get some fine tinned copper wire, put a bend in the end where the pad should be and cut the end so it's about 2mm long; cut the other end so it lays over the remainder of the track but no further than the edge of the 'box' on the PCB. Carefully scrape the solder resist off the track and tin it, then solder the tinned copper wire onto it. You'll need a very fine bit, ideally on a temperature controlled iron.

Edited By Martin Whybrow on 19/09/2014 19:07:18

Are the two large pads for soldering the antenna braid to, and then there's a tiny one for the centre core?

I think I'd be trying to scrape the green solder resist off as suggested, but then solder the aerial inner directly to the track.

My other thought, looking at the pic, is that the internal module looks a perfect shape to fit inside the case of an external module. In which case, I wonder if they are the same, and could that be a source of spare?

Oh, and finally, it's probably worth a word with Rich at T9Hobbysport to see if he can suggest your best options.

If you monitor your RSSI value while fying and vary your orientation to the model you will easily see the RF value varying.

Observations: The amount of RF supplied to the antenna remains the same, the standard type will give a doughnut shaped what's called polar diagram around you when flying, well there will be a kink in the doughnut cause by the body, so signal is weakest behind you. And you have to keep the doughnut ring aligned with the model for best range. Now fit a higher gain antenna and because of what's called an effect like a gain-bandwidth product, you do indeed get more range but the doughnut becomes squashed with the effect that it becomes more directional.

The standard antenna has the best overall performance for most of us.

Edited By David... on 20/09/2014 08:02:09