HK Sunbird.

Brent

Ok iv always been a glow person for the last 16 years or so and now starting with electrics. im a little confused as to what is suitable for the hobby king sunbird glider and what lipo pack will give the best flight times. Im currently on there site now looking at escs and motors, placing an order for all the bits to complete the model so I can get started on he build when the bits arrive, but struggling to decide what motor will work. one thing I need is the motor to mount from the front to a bulkhead like older traditional motors used to because im aiming to round up the front of the fuselage and make it a much nicer shape then a square box, also need help as to what folding prop will go well with it.

So if anyone can help me pls do so.

Advert

Had a look at the specs and whilst they list the kv and A rating they unusually don't link a motor.

Basics are you need to get an approximate flying weight including ESC, rx and battery. Basic rule of thumb is 50 - 75W/lb (450g) for a glider. I would go with the recommended battery size.

Look at BRC ( **LINK**  ). They have a very good range of motors listed by power rating. I have bought a number of motors for gliders from them, mostly Emax, and they have been really good. They are smooth and powerful. They also have package deals for Motor & ESC. I have never found the right combo at HK. BRC are also fantastic for prompt delivery.

Disclaimer; I have no connection or relationship with BRC other than being a happy and loyal customer.

Rob

PS; there is a build thread at https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CDUQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fforum.flitetest.com%2Fshowthread.php%3F6312-Hobby-King-SunBird-Motorized-Glider-Build-Thread&ei=AwArVMH6IrPe7Ab5x4G4BA&usg=AFQjCNEE75YBArnfi_5J4T8tON3DUPKrYw&sig2=0SjS1ZgrEEBBP-92gn19fA&bvm=bv.76477589,d.ZGU

Someone on the ratings thread used a 2822. I have used the Emax 2822 from BRC on a E-Fair and it was a good strong motor. £7.00 from BRC. HK sell the same motor without badging which could be a clone of the Emax.

Edited By TigerOC on 30/09/2014 20:04:13

Edited By TigerOC on 30/09/2014 20:25:23