any sparkies

john melia 1

i've just bought an elecktra beckum hc 260m , but when i switch it on it immediately trips the rcd on the fuse panel

it trips the switch to the right of the one marked rcd with the yellow rectangle above it

the guy i bought it off says i need a bigger breaker ?? it was working in his garage

Advert

if its tripping the RCD then current is leaking to earth. these breakers work by monitoring the current going in to the current returning. if its typically more than 30 ma difference then it trips, some single phase motors work by using a capacitor that can leak current and cause this. a bigger breaker s not required but it does need looking into by an electrician. his workshop may not be protected by an RCD so it would work as long as he has a good earth this will let the current flow but its not a good idea !  mike

Edited By michael cawood on 20/07/2015 17:36:39

not really, you could try it in a non RCD protected socket, making sure it has a good earth and let it warm up. sometimes the leakage is from the motor if its got damp and warming things up dry's out the damp. but really its not a good idea because if you lose the earth then the machine becomes live and you could be killed if you touch it. mike