Acro Wot ARTF MK3 EP/GP

Well my Acro Wot turned up yesterday after the courier delivered it to the wrong address! It's the latest EP/GP version for electric or IC power.

I couldn't find a detailed thread on this model, so I thought I'd start a new one.

As I'm building it, I'll update the thread.

First of all, I built an ARTF Mk2 last year an fitted an OS46AX, so will partly be comparing it to this.

I intended to fit the Ripmax Quantum 55 and recommended ESC, but I ordered it on two occasions from well known suppliers and both times was told it was out of stock until March (which will probably be May). Sadly, I was told a couple of days after the order was made and paid for that they were out of stock-not good service.

Advert

To start, the covering isn't as good as the the previous model. I've tried to iron out the wrinkles, but with the iron set at 140 degrees c, it only just adheres, but I'm concerned about shrinking the covering where there is an edge!

I struggled to find the edge to cut the film where the battery is fitted at the front of the fuselage, but sorted it in the end. I didn't like the idea of hammering out the unused wood as the manual recommend, so carefully cut it out with a razor saw.

The undercarriage went on ok apart from one wheel that appeared to be wider than the other and only just fitted on the spindle-a good squeeze on the wheel hub and it went click so wasn't assembled correctly. It then fitted on fine!

I'm using the wings off my IC Acro Wot, so will comment on the build at a later date.

The tailplane went on fine, but there was an issue with the elevator. I had the fuselage upside down and screwed the control horn (used after market Kavan horn) into the elevator with the dark ply/hardwood semi-circular insert in it. I then fed the linkage through the fuselage and found I'd put the horn on the wrong side-the correct side didn't have the insert. Bit of a manufacturing error?

Next the tail fin-the rear of the fuselage has a slot where it locates and this was wider on one side than on the other, poor quality-however, the fin fitted in nicely, but unfortunately the slot wasn't at 90 degrees to the tailplane and took some fiddling to get it right. The nuts on the rudder looked imperial-well they never fitted any of my metric spanners!

Mounted the servo for the rudder in the middle and the elevator on the right (fuselage upside down) and found the pushrod rubs on a former. Moving the servo over and the rudder linkages are very close.

I went to epoxy the battery holder to find it's warped so will have to cut another one out. Also, you only get one mount for a battery, so I'll have to make a couple of spares.

Well, the battery mount doesn't fit! The opening/former between the 'tank bay' and the servo area is like the original IC model and is sort of oval in shape, but when you align the battery mount, it see saws on the former. I'll have to cut it out for the mount to fit-not easy.

The magnetic cover for the battery (pre covered and fits in the gap previously cut out) doesn't fit, the fuselage needs sanding. Also 3 of the magnets have come loose.

• 3 weeks later...

I cut the fuel tank former and epoxied the battery mount. The max thickness battery I can use is 40mm without it clashing with anything-which puts a 6S out the window.

I've also had to trim the GRP nose cowling as you need to get your finger in to remove the battery hatch.

I fitted an Emax 3526-05 710kv and turnigy plush 100a ESC. I only had to open the motor mounts on the supplied bracket by a millimeter and everything lined up brilliantly! Battery was a Turnigy Zippy 4S 4500mah 25/35c

According to the Emax site and prop calc, the 14x7 APCE prop I fitted should have been too big, but in reality it pulled 45amps and had enough power to try and pull the plane out of my hand when held vertically!

I set the control surfaces travel to what looked ok with no expo and managed to get my maiden flight in on the first day I've been able to go flying in over 3 months. I also maidened my Trex550 helicopter after 2 lessons some time last Autumn!

I had 2 flights with the timer set at 6 minutes. Both went without problems and I had approx 45% charge left, so will set my timer to 8 or 9 minutes next time. The Acrowot needed no triming, but my inexperienced flying consisted of circuits, next time I'll try a 45 degree dive and check the COG is in the right place!

My second landing was a bit heavy and I bent the undercarriage and took the ends off my prop. The undercarriage staightened out OK, but I'm still waiting for the replacement pros I ordered 8 days ago from a large well known supplier!