Performance variation between samples of same motor

David Hall 9

I have recently been trying to select a motor for a 3D airframe and have worked through a few small motors in the 900-1400Kv range.

At the same time, I've put together a budget 450 quadcopter using inexpensive parts. The motor/ESC/prop set was bought as a group. The quadcopter works well enough (a bit more of a handful than I anticipated!), but I noticed that the motors "feel" different (it's no surprise that there are manufacturing variations at the cheap end of the market).

When rotating any motors by hand (disconnected) I can feel the effect of the magnets on the stator, some motors have more of this effect than others. In the sample of four 2212/1000Kv motors each has a lessening lumpy feel. The weakest has hardly any "lumpiness" whilst the best is very obvious.

I know that the quadcopter controller will regulate the power to each motor, so I may not see any performance difference between the four motors, but if I were to test them individually, might I see a clear performance difference?

Advert