Hello from Rob

My apologies to Timbo for "just diving in and asking questions". I'm afraid I should have spent some time reading the intro posts first. I did dabble a little on RC Groups when I was working, but I am now retired and am starting out with my own computer - still learning, I'm afraid!

Well hello everybody, I retired a few months ago and unfortunately I lost my dear wife shortly after, which has left me in a kind of vacuum. Although I now have only myself to look after, my hobby time is going to be more limited than I expected, as I am still sorting myself out!

I have not been involved in model aircraft since my Keil Kraft days in the Fifties, but I intend to build my Southerner 60, which I never aspired to as a youngster. I like vintage and high wing cabin types, semi-scale or scale, but the model has to look like the real thing, and especially in the air. All this darting, flipping and prop hanging is not for me, but I know it is loads of fun for others.

I have collected together some bits and pieces including the Ben Buckle kit, and I also have a couple of brushed motors I've picked up over the last couple of years, while waiting for retirement to come. I should mention that I planned to start this hobby after finishing work and getting a new shed! Anyway, having spent some time reading loads of stuff, I realise now that to go electric these days, we are talking brushless motors and lipo batteries, and I have always figured brushed motors and nimh batteries, well, maybe I can still use what I've already got. I still haven't bought any batteries yet, as I could never make up my mind!

I should also mention I have never been involved with engines, (couldn't afford them, as a boy), but have always fancied electric power. Also, don't laugh, but it is the building I shall enjoy, and fitting everything in place. I don't aspire to becoming a pilot, bit of a waste, I know, but you need to join a club and get trained. I don't know anyone personally in the hobby or of any clubs in my area (Gwent).

I have played with figures a lot over these few years regarding suitable power trains, but am always open to suggestions. The Southerner is 60" span and about 4.1/2lb auw with brushed motor and nimh batteries, (I stick to flying capabilities, you know, even if I never fly it, someone else might). Wing area is unknown to me, and unobtainable it seems.

Right, I shall leave it there, except to say that I succumbed to the "yet another model" syndrome (thank you Eric Bray, I think you are a great contributor with your wit and humour), and I bought an Ultrafly Cessna C140 ARTF to tinker with while planning the Southerner! Also thank you to Owen Hailes? for your kind offer of a prop adaptor, I may well take you up on that!

Rob

Advert

Hi Rob - welcome to "the friendly forum" - and thanks for that great intro, much appreciated - if you have not yet done so ( and I haven't looked yet ) put a precise of that into your profile page where it will stay for good

My sincere condolences on your loss - and I hope absorption into this wonderful hobby of ours will help you back to some sort of normality.

Have you tried the BMFA site for clubs in your Area - I lived in Chepstow for a few years way back when, and although not then flying RC I seem to think there may be one in Caldicot ??

Heres a link to the BMFA - look for "clubs" and see what they throw up. CLICK HERE

PS There is no reason why you could not still use Nickel based cells - even with the brushless motors - LiPos obviuosly have more power for less weight....but if you have the Nixx - use 'em by all means! 

Thanks Timbo for your welcome, I shall take a look at that. You probably didn't notice my error in posting, but I copied my intro into a new thread after posting it as a reply to another newbie! Ha! Ha! But I shall get the hang of it, give me time.

My problem with this forum is, I can never remember where I left a post, or how to find it. If I didn't get the emails from Modelflying to click on the web addresses, I would never know anything about replies or responses. Your kind reply re prop adapter is linked to "Lathe work" somewhere in the forum, but I can't find it by starting from the first page.

Well, I have to get on with some household stuff now, I've been reading the forum for three hours.

Later, Rob

Well actually Rob I did spot your "error" - you will have to be quicker than that to catch me out mate ! - but no worrries...

I did respond on the aforementioned thread ( here) and will delete it so dont worry about it.

Incidentally to help remember what posts you are following you can "bookmark them" - use the lttle button down at the bottom of the thread called "add to my bookmarks". Then in your profile page, these threads will be listed - easy peasy !