NCFM Moth build advice

As it is raining, I am planning on finishing a few builds one of which is the Moth.

Wing is all done and part spackled, the question is where to go once spackling is complete. I am planning on using Lam film. So a few questions.

Where can you buy Lam Film in quantities other than massive rolls?

What is the best thickness to use?

Solartex or Film?

And order for covering (seem to remember someone saying spackle, tex then lam film?

All advice much appreciated!

Advert

http://flyingwings.co.uk/accessories/covering-materials.html

Rob is very helpful, I expect he could answer your other questions.

No connection to the business other than a satisfied customer for other stuff.

By the way, lam film is sometimes called "New stuff". Its not that new any more, but is probably a useful term to use in a search phrase..

Graham

spackling and lam filming are slightly incompatible techniques. The dust created by spackle means that lam film won't adhere well to the surface. As the lam film gives a smooth finish, it's somewhat unnecessary.

That being said I have lammed a model that was previously spackled and rebuilt, and it turned out well, but you will need to use a fine mist spray adhesvie like 3m 77 spray.

The other issue with the moth, is that due to the plan form the cg is near the front of the wing. If you lam film that whole wing it will end up being difficult to get the cg back to the right place. Again while not insurmountable, it's something to think about.

Generally when people are lam filming foamies they don't spackle them first is what I am saying.

Something else to say if you film directly over lam-film you will end up with a huge amount of bubbles. Some people don't bother with a covering film over the lam film. It's purely decorative as the lam film forms a smooth  layer on the model.  Unless solartex has holes you will get the same issue.

I did my m60 is 175 lam film and it made it quite a bit heavier. Which is fine as I have models for other conditions (like I do much slope flying!)., but obvs. the grade you select will have an impact on the weight and the required nose weight. (hard to fit in the fuselage).

With specifics to the moth/m60 if you use a thick film it also makes the fuselage fit slightly more difficult although it shouldn't be a problem.

If I was building from scratch I would forgo any covering film. not spackle and accept that it would not look as  nice.  As it was I refured an m60 that had crashed DSing, which I had built to the previous, at the time, best practice of spackle and profilm.

Edited By Tom Satinet on 03/08/2016 16:42:41