Phoenix Model Kits G-Buster

John Roberts 9

Advert

My Google search did take me to Phoenix Model Products but I couldn't find anything like the G-Buster listed and so I assumed that, despite the similarity of names, the kit probably came from somewhere else.

Thanks for taking the time to post the link though Steve. Perhaps Mr. Whittaker or the model owner, named as Graham Leatherman in the article, might (hopefully!) take a peek at the forums and enlighten us.

• 2 months later...

Hello Chaps,

I am thrilled at the interest in my 'G -Buster' model as seen in RCM and E but sorry I have only just learnt of it. I was approached enthusiastically at Old Warden about details of the model, and as it's designer and pilot was pleased to oblige. Firstly, my name is Graham LEATHERLAND, (often called by many other names) and I was the man behind Phoenix Models, Lutterworth, the kit manufacturing company circa 1989 to 1999, NOT Phoenix Model Products of Devon.

I specialized in R/C deltas but also developed a model from the 'Philibuster' design plan from Radio Modeller magazine. I called it G-Buster naturally as my name is G...raham. Get it? The Philibuster (designed by Phil Greeno) was too small for commercial interest etc and lacked dihederal so I scaled it up and made many alterations to the point that the only similarity in the end actually was the canopy shape. The kit was not too popular as most pilots in truth had no appreciation of its abilities in the air and it looked like a control line model to many modellers.

I have always been happy with the G-Buster and decided to scale it up to take the ST G23 engine, it challenges any pilot as it is capable of knife edge loops, 'Hanno screws' and all but is viceless and neutrally stable. Its control line stunt model looks were inevitable I suppose as I have designed and flown control line models since 1976 and I was british control line stunt national champion 2015 with a model interestingly sharing the same colour scheme.

The model featured in RCM and E is the ST G23 sized version with all balsa/ply construction and solarfilm covered, the engine failed mechanically soon after the photos were taken and in spite of many attempts at sorting it out, has been discarded, having been (badly) made in China. Lesson learnt. The model now flies on a proper Super Tigre G23 made in Italy and I wish they all were.

I hope this a clears things up for you all.

I am on facebook if you need any more help....happy flying.

• 3 years later...

I loved watching your G-Buster and Cobra today at the Old Warden Model Air show today Graham - marvellous models and marvellous flying. You say you're on Facebook, there are several Graham Leatherlands on there (surprisingly). Are you the GL standing outside the Ace Cafe next to a Z4?

• 2 weeks later...