Bulldog

Those that were around model flying in the 1970's will recognise the name of Terry Cooper. Terry was at the top of his game in the early 70's and the Bulldog was the design he used in the 1971 World Champs.

A couple of years ago, Paul Bardoe was fortunate enough to come across seven GRP fuselages from that period and passed them on to me. Circumstances being what they were, I have only just got round to put one together. One fuselage is orange, the rest being clear and it is one of these that I have selected for my model.

The first problem was sorting the wing and tail sections out. This successfully done, wing and tail cores have been cut and were sheeted today, using 1/16th balsa. Wing panels came out at 7 oz each and tail halves, 2 oz each. Engine will be a BNIB OS 61SF, with pipe. Terry was at the forefront of tuned pipe use in F3A aerobatics.

I'll keep you updated. Steve

dsc00276.jpg

dsc00277.jpg

dsc00278.jpg

Advert

Hi Rich2

No plans, just working from photos that I've seen, general model size of that time and utilising the wing and tail sections on the fuselage. That was fun!!!! Transfered them to onto a cad program and then onto my cnc wing cutter. Took a few practice cuts on scrap foam but got there eventually. Probably draw up a plan for a wooden fus later.

AWflyer, are you going to build it?

Bit more progress today. Both tailplane and one wing panel had LE and TE sanded down. Wing panel and T/P halve had tips added.

dsc00279.jpg

Work on fuselage has begun, re the positioning of firewall. Made it 120mm from front ring. Ample room for tubing coming from behind engine. Profile taken with a profile gauge, transferred onto hard balsa to enable final positioning to take place before putting on to ply. Must remember to make a copy for the rest of the fuselages!

dsc00280.jpg

dsc00281.jpg

Edited By Steve Dunning on 05/04/2017 17:15:19

Edited By Steve Dunning on 05/04/2017 17:16:17