Stephens Aero Caudron Racer 1911

img_1328.jpgimg_1330.jpgimg_1332.jpgWithout diverting myself from other current ongoing projects, when I got back from Spain I knocked this together in four weekday evenings in order to have something to fly indoors at Shawbury on Sunday 30 April. This is one of a range of Stephens Aero kits supplied by Micron Models. The quality of materials and laser cutting is first class, I can't fault it. Just 18.25" span, I have powered it with the PZ micro P51 geared motor and used the Spektrum AR6410 rx/esc/servo unit operating rudder and elevator. Lipo is 1S 3.7V 160mah. Covered with Solarfilm Solite film, it weighs 55gms all in. It comes with a flat profile pilot bust and 6 cylinder Anzani and it was finished with those when I flew it at Shawbury last Sunday. After a couple of encounters with the nets hanging around the edge of the Badminton courts I got the hang of it and it flies really well. A bit faster than the super-light foamies, but perfectly manageable and I look forward to having another go on 21 May. Excellent little job and it is said to be ok for flying outdoors in winds up to 5 mph. I have made a (crude)! seven cylinder Gnome rotary from Depron and a suitable pilot from the range of choices in Vortex Vacforms moulded sheet of half busts, glued together and suitably painted. Also made some rigging from shirring elastic. No build log because of time and it's dead easy, but for those interested in a quick route into indoor flying with something scale-ish, this range of kits is well worth a look. It struck me just how fast aviation developed when you consider that this flew just 8 years after the Wright's first successful powered flight in 1903, a very neat little aeroplane.img_1333.jpg

Edited By Colin Leighfield on 06/05/2017 23:52:28

Advert