Dynam Smart Trainer - build help

Andrew Moore 7

Hi all,

New to building these types of planes.

Could I ask just a few questions re the Dynam Smart ?

- Does the 2-wheel undercarriage usually come pre-built ? Mine has come in bits and not enough parts to put the wheels together and not mentioned at all in the instructions (which I find really basic). Nosewheel is fine

- Elevator, is one side suppose to connect to the other somehow or is just 1/2 of it used (which seems weird) ?

Thanks

Advert

HI, I built one just a few weeks ago. Instructions were clear as mud and the photos so small they were almost pointless. But, once in the air, a real beauty to fly and predictable! I'm almost ready for my A-test, so if it's easy for me, then it's gotta be easy!

The 2 wheeled part of the u/c is in separate parts and has to be assembled. It's not immediately obvious which way round the bits go, so have a fiddle and see. If it helps, I can post a picture of mine.

There is a U-shaped metal bar included that needs to be glued into place with epoxy to make the 2 parts of the elevator move together. Be careful to only glue the part of the bar on the control surface and not the whole bar as I did!

Incidentally, also, be sure that the spat on the front wheel is the right way round, somehow, mine turned and my next take of resulting in it digging into the ground and ripping the front uc off, luck I didn't lose the front end - it made a hell of a ripping sound!

Happy to post pics of mine if it helps.

Thanks Tony, REALLY helpful !!!!

To be honest, I'm really struggling with how to fix the wheels to the undercarriage, anything you can post or send me (pictures ??) would be really appreciated ([email protected]) or on here.

Thanks also for the infr re the front wheel and elevator (elevator was starting to worry me).

I think they have sent me the right horns for the rudder & elevator but I maybe wrong....

Just a few other points:-

Instructions are next to useless (NOTHING on there about building the wheels)

Photos are far too small (and in B&W) to be useful

A pleasure, I'm only glad that I can finally put something back into the forum having received so much help from it this year!

To fix the where, there is a bit of foam that you need to pull out, it's really hard to see and not clear in the instructions. Pull that out and it starts to make sense. I'll try to nip out to the workshop and take some photos.

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the reminder! This should help.

As you can see first the plastic slots onto the metal bar and slots between the guides on the inside. A bolt then goes through from the outside is the nut between the metal bar and the wheel. The end of the bolt goes through the wheel and then into a the plastic moulding the other end. There's no nut on the far side so it's actually the plastic that's holding the wheel on. Let us know how you get on!

dsc_0973.jpg