Southport air show's unsung heroes.

Phil Brooks

I went to Southport airshow yesterday. I haven't had time to sort and edit the photographs, but I really don't want to lose any time in thanking the guys who put on such a great display of model flying during the morning. For some four hours before the full size show started they kept the growing crowd entertained with a superb display of flying. Jets, i.c., and electric power all featured in a fast moving and varied show over a wide range of disciplines, with several well flown formation displays. There was hardly a minute in the entire four hours when there wasn't a model in the sky. There were a couple of minor incidents, an electric flying wing spiralled in after going into a series of uncontrollable rolls (servo failure?) and a superb tiger moth suffered what I hope was minor damage from an unscheduled meeting with a planet, but the level of flying throughout was tremendous. Sadly, at the end of their display the event commentator did not thank them nor call for the round of applause they so richly deserved. In front of what must be one of the biggest non-model aware crowds to watch such a display they did much to raise the profile of the hobby and to show the general public that it's not all "drones over airports". Thank you gentlemen. Sadly we were not even told who you were, but as ambassadors for our hobby you did a great job. Once again, thank you.

dsc_0013.jpg

dsc_0037.jpg

dsc_0020.jpg

dsc_0025.jpg

dsc_0023.jpg

dsc_0046.jpg

dsc_0054.jpg

Advert